Physiological effects of peeing in your wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have on ocassion urinated twice in a long dive......I just TRY and drink water between dives....but I find myself 'forgeting' to drink as much as I probably really should....I just have to stop and remind myself of this now and again. I don't make it a habit of drinking a soda till after my dives.....really living it up--lol.

Seen a lot of divers pouring the piss out of there booties when the get back on the boat.

Correction for that problem - don't tuck suit into booties!:D

If you want to enjoy your dive, pee when you need to. Holding it back will reduce the fun of your dive.

When diving in cold water it does, however, only make you warmer for a brief moment. After that you, will have released a heat source from your body and you'll actually begin to feel even colder.

1. Peeing in your wet suit can cause dehydration. But it's a bit complicated.

Assume you are well hydrated on the dive boat. And assume you are warm.

Now jump in the cool water. The cooler water temperature induces fluid shifts to your core. Your kidneys sense a relative volume overload and you pee (thermal diuresis as described above).

Now you're back on the boat. And warm. The fluid shifts again, perfusing your extremities. You become slightly dehydrated now. Best to drink up.

So, it's not the peeing in your wet suit that causes the dehydration... It's the thermal changes that occur in water and the thermal diuresis.

You can minimize this effect by keeping warm during the dive to avoid the thermal diuresis.

2. It is best to keep the urine in your wet suit...because it feels so-o-o-o-o good.

i think I'm the only diver in the world who doesn't pee in their wetsuit. I just can't bring myself to urinate on myself
Just wait till you're 50 and your prostate is enlarging. You'll actually rush to get into the water so you can pee. :)

BTW - In a moderately normal, moderately healthy person, your urine is completely sterile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom