Physiological effects of peeing in your wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CenTexDivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Directly above the center of the Earth in the Texa
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this is probably a little too much research into this subject, but these questions came up during happy hour yesterday afternoon, and I'm curious to know what other people think.

A) Does peeing in your wetsuit cause dehydration through the release of water from the body or is it better refrain until another source of water is available?

B) Does the urine drain more heat from the body by being kept inside, or is it more beneficial to release it to allow it to mix outside the body where it will feel warm temporarily, but decrease the amount of waste that must be kept at temperature.

In most cases, neither of these are probably issues that need to be addressed, but just for knowledge sake.

:popcorn:

As I understand it

1. No it does not cause dehydration
2. From a body heat standpoint, It is better to release the urine as your body will no longer have to keep it warm along with the rest of your body.

i think I'm the only diver in the world who doesn't pee in their wetsuit. I just can't bring myself to urinate on myself

i think I'm the only diver in the world who doesn't pee in their wetsuit. I just can't bring myself to urinate on myself

Give it time, and more diving in different places and temperatures - you will.

:popcorn:

As I understand it

1. No it does not cause dehydration
2. From a body heat standpoint, It is better to release the urine as your body will no longer have to keep it warm along with the rest of your body.

1. I don't know if waste water keeps you hydrated. It probably doesn't. So I will assume you are correct.
2. 100% correct.

I don't either. I'll go between dives. Seen a lot of divers pouring the piss out of there booties when the get back on the boat. I mostly dive dry anyway which my P-valve comes in very handy.

I doubt there is a hydration benefit from retaining urine.

The urge to urinate more frequently is normal when the body is exposed to cold water. You may dehydrate in such conditions due to more frequent passing of urine, but "holding it in" probably won't do more than let your bladder get uncomfortable.

Hydrate between dives.

Never eat asparagus the day before you intend to pee in your wetsuit.

A) Does peeing in your wetsuit cause dehydration through the release of water from the body or is it better refrain until another source of water is available?

Let me turn this question around... I consider my self dehydrated if I can complete the dive without the need to urinate. You should be drinking enough fluids that it is necessary to pee in your suit, rather than withholding drinking predive so you don't have to.
icon_eek.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom