Physiological effects of peeing in your wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pee about 2 times every dive. Water is 60-70F at the surface and around 52F at 100ft.

I think holding your pee before getting in the water and then peeing right at the beginning
of the dive before seawater gets in the wetsuit is the best. Then since there's already
some fluid in your wetsuit, less seawater will get in. So, your body will have to heat up
less cold water. :)

I vividly remember our instructor talking about this issue in our first classroom session, before any of us had actually experienced the chilly SoCal water. He got this blissful expression on his face, and said that it feels sooooooo good to pee in your wetsuit after half an hour in 55 degree water.

He was so right. Sometimes I chug extra water just so I'll be able to pee in my wetsuit later. :)

If I don't do a good enough job flushing it out, of course, the smell can be a little disturbing. (What's really disturbing: pulling my hood on and realizing that my HOOD smells like pee. Sheesh.)

I recently gave my wetsuit a "Sink the Stink" treatment. Wow. I think I preferred the smell of urine. Now my apartment smells like chemicals.

I just don't think pee is that gross - like several have pointed out, after all, it's sterile! Divers come up with snot all over their faces anyway... at least pee doesn't stick to you...

You already made the pee in your bladder, so whether or not you let it go won't make a difference to your hydration. Pee is an ionic solution therefore it is a better conductor of heat than fresh water but probably has the same thermal conduction of salt water but because of your wetsuit, you will not notice any drop in temperature (unless your kidneys can produce solvents like paint thinner). If you do notice a drop in body temperature after a pee, that is because you aren't wearing a wetsuit. By the way, I understand pee attracts mako sharks ; )

i have pee'd many times in my wetsuits. i chose not to anymore just a personal preference.
but for those of you who do, please at least try to rinse out your wetsuit when you are done after the dive , the smell can be overwhelming for the other divers on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom