Perfect Set of Tanks Poll

Which tanks would be in your ideal tank quiver?

• hp130, hp133 or Larger

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp120

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp117 or 119

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • lp95, lp104, lp108 or 112

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • hp100

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • lp85

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • hp80 or hp72

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • al100, al80, or al63

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • al40 or al30

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Under 23cuft tanks

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as said above, 3600 is the limit if you are at a fill station where you aren't filling. I know like 3 people that will fill to 3900 *you want to keep them in easy pressures for thirds*. The regulators are all rated for true 300bar which is about 4300psi, but I've never filled that high on the tanks here
Well, this thread has reached the usual high water mark for this topic. I detect a slight 'tongue in cheek' in tbone's post.

If one is still stressing at this level, is that not sufficient justification to go to a rebreather?

Get a set of HP 100's and a 19 cuft pony. If that doesn't float your boat, then sell them (both highly desirable) and buy a rebreather.

When you are far offshore, it's really nice to get multiple ndl dives out of a single tank. I own four lp108's and a lp95, cave filled I have no regrets. My 108's carry the same amount of gas as two al80's. Personally I don't see the advantage to high pressure tanks if you can get good fills.

If anyone wants to sell their 108's they regret, give me a shout.

When you are far offshore, it's really nice to get multiple ndl dives out of a single tank. I own four lp108's and a lp95, cave filled I have no regrets. My 108's carry the same amount of gas as two al80's. Personally I don't see the advantage to high pressure tanks if you can get good fills.

If anyone wants to sell their 108's they regret, give me a shout.

If you ever run across the old Oms/Faber lp 131's they are excellent for this very reason. I have 5 of them with H valves. Now if only the Holy Spearit was still running overnight trips to the Middle Grounds out of Tampa things would be great.

LOLA'd lp50's and a couple faber 3L HP steels. GUE-style onboard bailout CCR FTW!!!!

Cave filled you're looking at almost the same volume of gas as an Al80 per cylinder, and a pair of them are only a few pounds heavier than a single Al80.

Well, this thread has reached the usual high water mark for this topic. I detect a slight 'tongue in cheek' in tbone's post.

If one is still stressing at this level, is that not sufficient justification to go to a rebreather?

Get a set of HP 100's and a 19 cuft pony. If that doesn't float your boat, then sell them (both highly desirable) and buy a rebreather.

because a rebreather is still close to a $15k investment? There wasn't really any tongue in cheek. I wasn't able to truly justify going CCR until I had reached the limits of LP121's and 2 stages on a scooter with a backup scooter. That's a LONG way in, well for most people, it's a cakewalk for some others, but it's easily a mile back in most caves in Florida. That said, remember that even going to a CCR, you still need bailout and for the OC dive above where I carried about 500cf of gas, I still need to carry either the LP121's, or in my case the lp50's on my unit with a pair of AL80 stages. The bottles are still used because the CCR doesn't actually remove a whole lot of gas. It takes away between a third and half of the gas you would use on OC depending on how you run your bailout if you are kicking, but if you're on a scooter it only takes away about a sixth of it. You justify it on other grounds, but the extra 300psi people pump in there is just because

@JohnnyC the whole rack with 2x 50's and 2x 3l's weighing about as much as a set of 104's with an inflation bottle, hardly an inconvenience weight wise, though it is admittedly a touch bulky

I have 2 old school steel 72s, 2 aluminum 30s left over from a triple 30 set and 3 steel 300s with fittings to connect all 3 for surface supply diving. Only one type fits into your survey categories.

The "perfect tank" is relative to the depth, length, and conditions of dive you are making. I own and use a variety of tanks listed on the poll and choose the best set for the dive I'm making.

I am certainly no a rebreather diver but a lot of the people I have seen go to a breather so they don't have to carry all that gas. Sadly this is definitely not true and I am amazed that there aren't more fatalities related to this. With the proliferation of sm breathers they don't lend themselves well to carrying multiple bailout bottles. When you see pictures of people scootering in Ginnie and JB with a Sidekick and a single cylinder with a single regulator on it I really want to ask these people if they would oc dive like this and most would say it is crazy but yet they are relying on a single regulator just like an ow diver in the overhead.

A steel HP120 and two neutral buoyancy Al 80s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom