Perfect Set of Tanks Poll

Which tanks would be in your ideal tank quiver?

• hp130, hp133 or Larger

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp120

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp117 or 119

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • lp95, lp104, lp108 or 112

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • hp100

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • lp85

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • hp80 or hp72

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • al100, al80, or al63

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • al40 or al30

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Under 23cuft tanks

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've basically switched to all lp108. Physical size is perfect for me especially as doubles
What kind of diving do you use them for? Lp108's are about the same size and weight as hp130's, and I don't think I would want to take those shore diving. Not when I could take an hp100 for 3/4 the weight and still a lot of air.

Nothing in particular, a bit of shore a bit of boat. The weight doesn't bother me, I solo dive a bit and my physical size doesn't prohibit them. 6'6" 300lb

Last edited:
I have been using AL63's for many years now, and I currently have five of them. When I first started diving I was using an AL80, then switched to an AL50. I found the AL80 was a bit too heavy for me (I am vertically challenged), while the AL50 didn't give me enough bottom time. I switched to AL63's and love them. :thumb: The majority of my diving is shore diving, so a little less weight on my back is a bonus. Depending on depth, my average bottom time is 50 minutes, but I have got over 60 minutes on more than one occasion.

The only time I use an AL80 now is when I am boat diving, and the dive operator is supplying the tanks.

Divegoose

Started with AL80s. Cheap, easy to get, pretty much the universal resort cylinder.
After a few years I was finding they were not cutting it. Tried a HP100 from the shop for a deeper dive. Loved it. Same package size as the AL80, but better buoyancy characteristics. Don't need as much lead. Was a much smaller monkey on the back. Almost the only tank I use anymore. Still have the AL80s, but they only get used on long weekends where is more diving then I have 100s for. They really should go away. But they are so cheap, and I rarely but still occasionally need extra tanks, they will just sit around to be used a time or two a year.

Having gone sidemount the steels are great. I only play with the AL80s if I want to get a little practice in before traveling someplace that will only have AL80s. Although I think I have it figured out, just add a small weight pouch to each tank and make them act like a steel 100. Probably will sell off the AL80s once I find someone I dive with that really needs a starter pair of tanks. Because that is what I think they are great at. An affordable starter tank. Nothing inherently bad about them, but there are better choices.

Is there an al 80 that is worse for sm? I've seen comparisons for the cat and lux both end up real close in the videos, with one seeming to be a little more progressive in its positive change.

Is there an al 80 that is worse for sm? I've seen comparisons for the cat and lux both end up real close in the videos, with one seeming to be a little more progressive in its positive change.

no, you just deal with them when they move. no fuss at all. One moves a bit before the other, but only annoying if you have one of each

@broncobowsher if you put pouches on the bottom in mexico you'll get a lot of eyes being rolled. Far better to just clip them to your waist strap and treat them like AL80's
There is plenty of other stuff they will be rolling there eyes at as well.
May not be your way of dealing with it, but it has worked for me. I know others who have done it as well. Not completely wrong.

If I ever make it to cave country.... If a cave fill for an LP tank often goes to 3600 PSI where might they go to for HP tanks?

Where does a first stage (DIN, eg. Apex DS4) start "complaining"?

Back
Top Bottom