Perfect Set of Tanks Poll

Which tanks would be in your ideal tank quiver?

• hp130, hp133 or Larger

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp120

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp117 or 119

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • lp95, lp104, lp108 or 112

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • hp100

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • lp85

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • hp80 or hp72

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • al100, al80, or al63

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • al40 or al30

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Under 23cuft tanks

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bierstadt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you could start your tank collection over again knowing what you know now, what would you include and why?

I noticed that the last tank selection poll was from 7 years ago and I would like to see if opinions have changed since then. Also, not just see what people's favorite tanks are but what your complete set would look like.

Feel free to select what you would buy if all your tanks got magically refunded for what they were worth or just pretend someone else is paying and pick an ideal (for you) setup. But you'd still have to pay for vis and hydros, so don't go nuts. I'd like to see a poll useful for newer rec and aspiring tec divers assembling their tank quiver, despite the poll length limits. Thanks.

well since almost all of my tanks did actually get magically refunded when my trailer got stolen and I had to rebuy them so it is fitting. That said the selections are off. i.e. I would NEVER buy an AL100 or AL63. AL100's are idiotic, and AL63's are useful for short people but that's about it. I would also never buy or recommend an AL30 because the 40's behave much better in the water.

Current inventory
2x-HP120's for doubles
4x-LP121's for sidemount cave bottles-specific use scenario, but the FX149's are too heavy
2x-LP50's for my rebreather and baby sidemount bottles-these would be HP but they don't make them
2x-FX23's for rebreather

Aluminum
8x-AL80's for deco and stage bottles
6x-AL40's for deco bottles but need to sell some of these
1x-AL13 for suit inflation-didn't rebuy that one, but you need a suit inflation bottle for trimix... I will probably never actually use it, but it was one of the few that didn't get stolen and it also happened to come for free with a bunch of 40's that also didn't get stolen

I bought 4x lp121's, 2x 50's, and 4x 80's to replace the tanks that were stolen and the only tanks I wouldn't replace would be the pile of 40's, but I'm whittling that down to probably 3 of them.

If I were newer rec or aspiring tech diver
pair of HP120 or HP100 depending on height-no reason to get LP tanks unless specific buoyancy characteristics require it. If in sidemount, LP85's are probably better, but if you're ocean diving, get HP tanks only and preferably the new HDG tanks from Faber

1x al40 for O2-even if not deco certified I think all divers should have O2 admin training and know how to use it. Buy a RescuEAN and BVM instead of the medical O2 kits. The only thing you lose is the MTV-100 but with how stupid expensive it is, just learn how to use a BVM and you'll be fine.

2x AL80's for stage bottles or if you dive backmount potentially for any single tank diving.

Last edited:
All of my AL80s have been sold off except two used for deco; I can't stand them for cold water diving, which is the majority of my diving. For recreational diving Worthington ST100 is preferred. Occasionally a Worthington ST120 is nice, especially if it is a long swim to and from shore.

Last edited:
Here's the interesting rub. The older Worthington LP 85s are a different tank than the newer LP 85 Fabers. The Worthingtons are heavier (i.e. more metal) and remain negative when empty compared to the +2.3 lbs of buoyancy in the Fabers. I would not buy the new Faber LP 85, but I sure like my LP 85 Worthingtons. If buying new Fabers now, I would go with the HP 100s.

Here's the interesting rub. The older Worthington LP 85s are a different tank than the newer LP 85 Fabers. The Worthingtons are heavier (i.e. more metal) and remain negative when empty compared to the +2.3 lbs of buoyancy in the Fabers. I would not buy the new Faber LP 85, but I sure like my LP 85 Worthingtons. If buying new Fabers now, I would go with the HP 100s.

the Faber 85's have been around a lot longer than the Worthy's, but Worthington and PST made some heavy tanks where the Fabers are largely all pretty close to neutral when empty. The big tanks being a bit more floaty than most of them, but alas, Worthington and PST are no longer in the scuba business

2x-HP120's for doubles
4x-LP121's for sidemount cave bottles-specific use scenario, but the FX149's are too heavy

Why no 133?

he Faber 85's have been around a lot longer than the Worthy's, but Worthington and PST made some heavy tanks where the Fabers are largely all pretty close to neutral when empty. The big tanks being a bit more floaty than most of them, but alas, Worthington and PST are no longer in the scuba business

Interesting. The specs on the Fabers list the LP85s as being +2.32 empty, whereas the specs on my Worthingtons list them as -0.7 when empty. I haven't dove the Fabers, but I don't think I'd like the additional 3 lbs of floaty. I also dive BM, so I'm sure side mount folks would feel differently about them.

I dive strictly recreationally. I bought two 120 CF high pressure steel Worthington's back in the day, because I was able to get them at cost. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the 100s, even if at retail. The 120's are just too tall for my taste and I am not a short guy. Also, the 100's provide plenty of bottom time for the type of diving I do.
Since the Worthington's are no longer being made, I would get two 100 HP Faber's. I would also have a 19 CF aluminum pony for when I am solo diving. Again, the perfect size for my needs.

Why no 133?

not big enough

Interesting. The specs on the Fabers list the LP85s as being +2.32 empty, whereas the specs on my Worthingtons list them as -0.7 when empty. I haven't dove the Fabers, but I don't think I'd like the additional 3 lbs of floaty. I also dive BM, so I'm sure side mount folks would feel differently about them.

the quoted specs are a bit all over the place because some include valves and some don't, but the Worthington LP85's and HP100's sank like bricks compared to most tanks. In backmount in the colder ocean, no problem, and some people like Edd Sorenson love them in sidemount, but they weren't my cup of tea

Back
Top Bottom