Perfect Set of Tanks Poll

Which tanks would be in your ideal tank quiver?

• hp130, hp133 or Larger

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp120

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp117 or 119

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • lp95, lp104, lp108 or 112

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • hp100

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • lp85

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • hp80 or hp72

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • al100, al80, or al63

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • al40 or al30

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Under 23cuft tanks

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the interesting rub. The older Worthington LP 85s are a different tank than the newer LP 85 Fabers. The Worthingtons are heavier (i.e. more metal) and remain negative when empty compared to the +2.3 lbs of buoyancy in the Fabers. I would not buy the new Faber LP 85, but I sure like my LP 85 Worthingtons. If buying new Fabers now, I would go with the HP 100s.

Even if one can find used Worthington LP85s, I would say they're only preferable to HP 100s if one plans to consistently get fills well over the rated pressure, as is common in cave country. As the poll results seem to suggest at the moment, the HP 100 is a great all-around singles and doubles tank for people of modest stature.

There is no one perfct tank. Lp 50's, true hp 100's, lp 120's with al80's for stages / deco gas and Al 40's for O2. I like lp 131's for single tank spearfishing. Overfilled they rock.

we fill all of our LP tanks to 3600psi so the lp121's hold about 160cf of gas when cave filled

Aren't the LP121's huge and heavy?? Is it safe to fill this much often?

It is very interesting to see that the hp72's may have dropped off in popularity - in the 2011 poll they were one of the highest rated. Lp tanks continue to confuse me: they are clearly capable of high pressure fills based on the cave divers' experiences, yet are not sold as such. Is it that cave fills are safe but not officially kosher for legal/regulatory reasons, or is it that cave fills really are a bit more than the tanks should be filled to and cave divers accept shorter tank lifespans in exchange for more gas in caving?

or is it that cave fills really are a bit more than the tanks should be filled to and cave divers accept shorter tank lifespans in exchange for more gas in caving?

I've wondered about this myself. @tbone1004, thoughts?

Aren't the LP121's huge and heavy?? Is it safe to fill this much often?

They are big tanks but when you need the cft of gas they are way more efficient than dragging a few stages.

Overfilled modern lp tanks (not the old 2250 tanks) are done every day in cave country and I have never heard of an issue with it. During the winter the fills in cave country are closer to 4k. There are tanks from the 70's and 80's that are still in service in cave country.

As the poll results seem to suggest at the moment, the HP 100 is a great all-around singles and doubles tank for people of modest stature.

100% agreement. I typically fill my lp 85s to 3200, and that makes them great tanks for me. For all around use though, the HP 100s just can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom