Perfect Set of Tanks Poll

Which tanks would be in your ideal tank quiver?

• hp130, hp133 or Larger

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp120

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • hp117 or 119

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • lp95, lp104, lp108 or 112

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • hp100

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • lp85

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • hp80 or hp72

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • al100, al80, or al63

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • al40 or al30

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Under 23cuft tanks

Votes: 14 10.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@EireDiver606 15l's are fairly common doubles setups actually, particularly the LP95 versions, but they have to be "cave filled" for them to be practical and definitely pretty low on the list of tanks that I typically recommend to people

@EireDiver606 15l's are fairly common doubles setups actually, particularly the LP95 versions, but they have to be "cave filled" for them to be practical and definitely pretty low on the list of tanks that I typically recommend to people
If you were to buy your first good all round cold saltwater tank for a beginner what would you buy? 12 litre or 15 litre? 232 bar or 300 bar?

First check if you have the possibility to easily get 300bar filled.
Here in Switzerland (cold freshwater) I would say the most common tank is 12L / 232bar. Most of my friends use the long version. The short version prefer only very small people. If you need more air, use a stage or doubles

If you were to buy your first good all round cold saltwater tank for a beginner what would you buy? 12 litre or 15 litre? 232 bar or 300 bar?

For single tank use, 15L without a doubt. (232B).

I think you're confusing 232bar with what American's call low-pressure. In Australia, New Zealand, and I believe Europe (perhaps everywhere that isn't North or Central American), steel tanks are either 232b (12 l 233b is about an HP100) or 300b (~4350psi). 300b 12 l tanks are nasty. They are bloody heavy, a pain to fill to greater than 250b, and due to the compressibility factor only give you an extra 20% capacity compared to 232b. I like 12 l 232b tanks but if you need the extra gas, get a 15 l 232b tank, which is similar weight (albeit larger) and gives you greater capacity.

I think you're confusing 232bar with what American's call low-pressure. In Australia, New Zealand, and I believe Europe (perhaps everywhere that isn't North or Central American), steel tanks are either 232b (12 l 233b is about an HP100) or 300b (~4350psi). 300b 12 l tanks are nasty. They are bloody heavy, a pain to fill to greater than 250b, and due to the compressibility factor only give you an extra 20% capacity compared to 232b. I like 12 l 232b tanks but if you need the extra gas, get a 15 l 232b tank, which is similar weight (albeit larger) and gives you greater capacity.

cold water means lots of lead, may as well leave it in the tank and let them fill it to whatever they can/you want to wait for.

Our "low pressure" steel tanks are ~180bar and with very small circumstances, our 232bar tanks are preferable. No 300bar tanks available here

Has a manufacturer ever explained why they still produce lp steel tanks or why they cost a good deal less than similar to steel equivalents?

*hp steel, autocorrect...

cold water means lots of lead, may as well leave it in the tank and let them fill it to whatever they can/you want to wait for.

Our "low pressure" steel tanks are ~180bar and with very small circumstances, our 232bar tanks are preferable. No 300bar tanks available here
I’m sort of confused here. I’ve never heard of cave fills in Ireland, and I doubt they would give you extra gas for no reason. Just to confirm, I’m talking about 232 bar tanks. The pressure of the tank is 232 bar not the amount on your spg afterwards?

Sorry but I know nothing about tanks, all I know is they’re either din or yoke and I use steel ones....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom