Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have a nice way of saying "you suck" LOL... I am constantly coming up with lighter bags than others. LOL,
It's obviously not that black and white. The lobsters move around.

Also it should be stated that you're right there, your second home is almost right on top of the marina. So a lost dive day isn't nearly as big an issue as it would have been for me, with a short week off from work and a flight from NY to Florida with a rather limited schedule.
Point well taken. However, I still live in the Philadelphia area and get down to my townhouse just north of Boynton Beach an average of 5 or 6 times per year for a week or so.

The difference for me is that I was 54 years old when I started coming down to SE Florida and now I am a bit beat up 70 years old. I'm no longer willing to take the risks of going out in sporty conditions to get a few more dives in. Rather, I do what I can to ensure that I will be able to continue diving into the future. In the last few years, I have missed as many as 60-80% of planned dives on a visit, especially in winter. When people ask me, I generally tell them that late fall, winter, and early spring often have big seas and unpredictable diving. It's just how it is.

This might nearly always work out OK for younger, strong and fit divers. Unfortunately, I am not as young, strong and fit as I once was and no longer take those risks. Now, when my primary charter cancels due to conditions, I simply thank them for assuring my safety. This gives me the opportunity for a nice bike ride with a stop at the Boynton inlet to check sea conditions. I frequently see large, breaking swells before continuing my peaceful ride.

Same here. I have no interest in pushing my luck just to get a dive in. There is A LOT to see and do in Palm Beach County. On the occasions when I get blown out, I'll just go hike, walk, kayak, paddleboard, bike, bird watch, etc, etc. Also, when possible, I try and coordinate my trips with decent BHB tides. I can't always do that, but I try. That at least gives me a solid shore diving option as well to fall back on.

Lol I can see that, but wasn’t my intention. In fact I’m saying because a lot of experienced hunters are saying that, makes me curious if I’m just being this lucky to always be on the few or only “lobster line” out there now.

Give me the numbers and I will resolve this mystery myself.

Give me the numbers and I will resolve this mystery myself.
I don’t have the numbers, join Sunny Sunday, Tony will put you on those spots, I’ll be there on weekend, I’ll point them all out to you

I don’t have the numbers, join Sunny Sunday, Tony will put you on those spots, I’ll be there on weekend, I’ll point them all out to you

Thanks for the invite. I've not been on a charter in a long time.

Same here. I have no interest in pushing my luck just to get a dive in. There is A LOT to see and do in Palm Beach County. On the occasions when I get blown out, I'll just go hike, walk, kayak, paddleboard, bike, bird watch, etc, etc. Also, when possible, I try and coordinate my trips with decent BHB tides. I can't always do that, but I try. That at least gives me a solid shore diving option as well to fall back on.
Don't forget diving the bridge :)

Edit: Nevermind, you did mention it.

The difference for me is that I was 54 years old when I started coming down to SE Florida and now I am a bit beat up 70 years old. I'm no longer willing to take the risks of going out in sporty conditions to get a few more dives in. Rather, I do what I can to ensure that I will be able to continue diving into the future....
This reminds me of a conversation that I had with a guy at a dive store who claimed to be a dive boat captain on the boat that ran out of that store. I asked about pricing. I then asked about the refund policy if they canceled due to weather. I was told there would be no refunds, but I could rebook for another date. I asked what would happen if it was the last day of someone's vacation that got canceled. I was told that the reservation could be used on a future vacation, but no refunds were possible. I did not book with that guy. That shop is no longer there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom