Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There is an ongoing thread for trip reports and condition updates for Jupiter and one for Blue Heron Bridge, but we don't have one for the sites off of Palm Beach/Palm Beach Shores. I dive this area frequently and often want to post an update without creating a whole new thread. So I decided to create this thread and we'll see where it goes!

This thread is to post trip reports and condition updates for the sites north and south of the Lake Worth Inlet. That includes sites all the way south to Lake Worth (Horseshoe and Paul's for example), sites north to Juno Beach (Juno Ledge for example), and everything in between! The common denominator is that those sites are typically hit by boats leaving out of the Lake Worth Inlet.

This is open to anyone who would like to post about diving that area, be you a local or a traveling diver. All are welcome!

If you'd still like to post your own trip report thread, by all means do so!! This thread is meant for those who feel like posting a quick update, a few picks or video, and just don't feel like created a whole new thread. Very similar to the Jupiter-focused thread that @CosbySweater created.

I was able to get out this past Monday and Tuesday, 6-7 June.

Monday I went out with Starfish out of Boynton and they actually went north to dive Horseshoe off of Lake Worth. The current was a trickle south at the beginning but we went north as we were dropped on the south side of the ledge. It was such a trickle we were able to head north against the current. By the end of the dive the current was pretty much nonexistent on the reef but was a trick north on the surface. Water temps were 79-80 and vis was 20-30' with 40' at times. Surface was partly cloudy, warm and humid, and seas were 1-2. It was a mixture of green water with blue water mixed in at points. We did 2 dives on Horseshoe allowing us to really explore the area well. That was pretty nice! This is such a fishy ledge! All of the usual tropical and in abundance. We only saw one loggerhead with was a surprise. We also saw one nurse shark. I also had a grey trigger bite my knuckle! Glad I wear dentex gloves!

Tuesday I went out with Pura Vida out of Lake Park Marina and we did Bath & Tennis and Flower Garden. Conditions were similar (temp and viz) to yesterday although seas were up a bit to 2-3'. It remained partly cloudy, warm and humid. The current was completely nonexistent with a slight east to west surge. Between these 2 dives we save 12-14 (lost count) loggerheads, one green, a roaming clinging channel crab, at least 6-8 large green moray, and my first ever goldentail moray.

Photos and video will be added below.

Channel Clinging Crab out roaming

Goldentail Moray

I was filming a scrawled cowfish and a blue spotted cornet fish I had not seen off to the left photobombed the video! It was pretty funny.

Some of the turtles from 6/7 on Flower Garden. The one sleeping with its head on a barrel sponge was a treat!

126798F0-A54C-4D25-9638-947ECA3CAF7D.jpeg
9188D00A-E261-49DF-BBBC-F769CE89EC00.jpeg
483ACDCA-D777-4D62-8757-C81E8BAB5356.jpeg
77AF00E1-504C-4132-82D9-8AD16C63D907.jpeg
60114A11-6ABC-4286-BB37-D0EA4279A641.jpeg

Wonder what led it to attack? Why do you wear the gloves (given that I'm guessing you aren't normally attacked by triggerfish)?

Richard.

The grey trigger fish off of Palm Beach are incredibly territorial and are fearless. I am frequently surrounded by 4-6 of them circling me. This one had been attacking my reel and my dive buddy's light. When it came in I assumed it was going for the reel again. Nope, he wanted my knuckle! It would have broken the skin if I hadn't had gloves on. It hurt even through the gloves!

Why gloves? I like to have as little skin exposed as possible when diving. All that I ever have exposed is the skin on my face not covered by my mask, hood or regulator. Plus, given the current that we often have here you frequently need to hold onto a wreck or bare spot on the rocky reefs to stay in place. Once your skin gets fully saturated by water, it is very easy to get small abrasions and cuts. I like to avoid them if possible.

Thanks for posting and the photos. Good idea! Going out Saturday. Will post. Pura Vida told me that the water is 79F. Burrr!

Channel Clinging Crab out roaming

Goldentail Moray

I was filming a scrawled cowfish and a blue spotted cornet fish I had not seen off to the left photobombed the video! It was pretty funny.

Cardinal fish in the crab video?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom