Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely it raised questions I figured the conditions would be rough, but as we had traveled quite the distance to get there it was worth a try..

No way. I (used to) travel long distances to dive (on my vacations from work prior to retirement) and didn't have the option to wait for better weather and extend my trip…

… generally speaking, regardless of the forecast weather, if there's a boat headed to a dive site, I'll be on it.

I can sympathize with the situations you may find/have found yourself in, but I gotta say, it’s heartbreaking reading this, “worth a try”.
It isn’t about comfort, while bouncing boats aren’t all that fun and some of us can tolerate that better than others, or may HAVE to endure that while others needn’t do so, there’s a limit of how rough it is doable to go out on a dive boat, not from a comfort perspective, but from safety, and when the scales tip towards unsafe, how can we deem it “worth a try”?

Not only the risk for injury increases, but if an incident were to happen, and I don’t mean an incident related to rough seas, any incident we expose ourselves to on any given dive, you now will find yourself in a situation made a lot worse because of the conditions, if picking up divers in rough seas are hard enough, imagine rescuing an unconscious diver when the boat platform is bouncing 6ft up from the water, just to give one example.

Well that’s good I guess.

Dive report yesterday: 60 ft vis below 50 ft, maybe 35 ft vis above 50 feet ; in 90-130, slightly cool, strong current. Few lobsters again
A lot of people saying that, but idk man, I’m seeing a lot of lobsters, and I’m just generally going on a straight line given I’m carrying the float ball, this past weekend current was screaming, I saw about 20 lobsters on first dive, at least 1 person got his limit on that dive. Second dive I personally snared 5 and we didn’t even make it to what the actual lobster spot was, due to the strong currents.

but I gotta say, it’s heartbreaking reading this, “worth a try”.. when the scales tip towards unsafe, how can we deem it “worth a try”?

Because some of us are more prone to taking risks than others, and/or we just don't have the opportunity all that often so we work with what we've got.

I'm sorry that my decision to go out in marginal conditions caused damage to your cardiovascular system, it was never my intention.

Back to Palm Beach diving

I've been diving Boynton, Palm Beach, and Jupiter for 16 years now, year around. When my primary charter cancelled due to conditions, usually this was Boynton, I would scramble and try to book with another operator. Sometimes I could get a ride in Jupiter, more often this was in Palm Beach. Sometimes seas were not as bad as predicted, sometimes they were, or worse. I've been ejected off the ladder or hit by the ladder several times. I've maneuvered around the boat, risking life and limb on the bouncing deck.

This might nearly always work out OK for younger, strong and fit divers. Unfortunately, I am not as young, strong and fit as I once was and no longer take those risks. Now, when my primary charter cancels due to conditions, I simply thank them for assuring my safety. This gives me the opportunity for a nice bike ride with a stop at the Boynton inlet to check sea conditions. I frequently see large, breaking swells before continuing my peaceful ride.

Now, when my primary charter cancels due to conditions, I simply thank them for assuring my safety. This gives me the opportunity for a nice bike ride with a stop at the Boynton inlet to check sea conditions.

Also it should be stated that you're right there, your second home is almost right on top of the marina. So a lost dive day isn't nearly as big an issue as it would have been for me, with a short week off from work and a flight from NY to Florida with a rather limited schedule.

A lot of people saying that, but idk man, I’m seeing a lot of lobsters, and I’m just generally going on a straight line given I’m carrying the float ball, this past weekend current was screaming, I saw about 20 lobsters on first dive, at least 1 person got his limit on that dive. Second dive I personally snared 5 and we didn’t even make it to what the actual lobster spot was, due to the strong currents.
You have a nice way of saying "you suck" LOL... I am constantly coming up with lighter bags than others. LOL,

You have a nice way of saying "you suck" LOL... I am constantly coming up with lighter bags than others. LOL,
Lol I can see that, but wasn’t my intention. In fact I’m saying because a lot of experienced hunters are saying that, makes me curious if I’m just being this lucky to always be on the few or only “lobster line” out there now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom