Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You seem to be getting all bent out of shape defending them. You have a vested interest perhaps? Care to share evidence that they have NOT been shut down by the USCG?

I'm not defending them in the least. I went so far as to state I'd never dive with them again because it was a fish massacre. I can't share evidence of something that has not been proven to happen, but I'll give it a try, but first, please prove there isn't a Santa Claus.

I don't know any of those operators well, since I normally dive from private boats. The one I do know a little bit is Narcosis, since that boat picked me out of the water one time after an equipment failure several years ago & brought me back to my boat. If I ever need to use a cattle boat, that WILL be the one. I owe them.

As for the boat now in question, I would be interested to hear more personal accounts from those who have used the boat themselves.

Absolutely it raised questions I figured the conditions would be rough, but as we had traveled quite the distance to get there it was worth a try. And as I think I stated, the conditions were not a concern.

But as pointed out by @MrChen my complaints/observations about my experience is irrelevant, the operation is under new ownership the past 4-6 months and I dived with them in 3-2023.

Meanwhile still nothing in the news, if @DandyDon hasn't started a thread about it then it didn't happen.

Dandy Don posts primarily about fatalities. Thankfully this was not that. Dive accidents occur ALL THE TIME and do not make the news.

Rule of thumb for you in the future. If EVERY charter except one is not running, you don't want to be out there!

So did someone get bit by a shark? Is that the buzz?
I don't think so.

One person said this:
I tried to warn people after I quit working for PBS after the new owners took over. I quit because of their attempts to get me to go along with illegal or unethical practices.
I feel some saw it as I was being bitter and/or out to get them.
No, I was truly concerned for the safety of other scuba divers. That is why I’m in this profession.
Unfortunately the injury occurred to a person that worked for and associated with PBS. He knew the kind of operation they were running. I personally warned him. I don’t wish any ill will towards that person and hope he recovers.
Fortunately it didn’t involve a customer. I thank god for that.
Safety had to be put before money!!

Rule of thumb for you in the future. If EVERY charter except one is not running, you don't want to be out there!

No way. I (used to) travel long distances to dive (on my vacations from work prior to retirement) and didn't have the option to wait for better weather and extend my trip. Anyway that was before I retired and lived far from good diving destinations.

Nowadays I don't have that sort of high pressure schedule, and living in Europe makes the flights a lot shorter and cheaper but generally speaking, regardless of the forecast weather, if there's a boat headed to a dive site, I'll be on it.

While this statement appears to be rooted in common sense wisdom on the surface, I happen to not agree with it completely. There have been times when commercial captains have refused to go out "due to weather" but I still went out & my silly little boat did fine on that same day. when only one boat is going, it makes me want to reevaluate the situation and give greater scrutiny, but it is not an automatic hard no for me to go with those guys that day. This applies to other types of boats as well, not just the dive guys.

Dandy Don posts primarily about fatalities. Thankfully this was not that.

What was it? Do you even know? Nothing has been posted about this "incident".

No way. I (used to) travel long distances to dive (on my vacations from work prior to retirement) and didn't have the option to wait for better weather and extend my trip. Anyway that was before I retired and lived far from good diving destinations.

Nowadays I don't have that sort of high pressure schedule, and living in Europe makes the flights a lot shorter and cheaper but generally speaking, regardless of the forecast weather, if there's a boat headed to a dive site, I'll be on it.

You make it sound like no one else has to deal with traveling long distances and getting blown out. I used to drive long distances to dive all around the Great Lakes or to NC for wreck diving. I was regularly blown out 30-50% of the time on those trips. A group of buddies and I once drive 15 hours to NC for a 4-day wreck diving trip. We never splashed once. It happens. I will always happily find something else to do onshore than take risks to go out when the vast majority are not running. YMMV.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom