Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to say:

Vis was great, IMO - 15m / 45ft. At its Floridarrific best? No, but it was way better than a quarry in Ohio.

Wave sets got sporty on the second dive so do some more lat pull downs and squats all you folks that skipped the fitness chapters in every single dive coursebook on planet Earth.

We saw 4.2 to over 5 mph on the gps toward the end of the day. I don't remember seeing those speeds except in 200 ft of water, I think. Still not many lobsters around.
In this area I've seen 2 knots south to 6 knots north current, with 2-3 north being the prevailing norm, as measured at the LW1 "sea buoy" about a mile east of lake worth inlet.

In other news... Palm Beach Scuba has been halted...

1725420575669.png

Rumor has it that someone got seriously hurt this last weekend.

1725421050250.png

Geez, me and my wife dived with them a year or so back. The boat was packed because the other area Dive Ops didn't go out due to anticipated marginal conditions (which never materialized). The diving itself was fine and we never had a safety concern, but the boat was mostly filled with spear-fishers and it was like massacre, with blood and guts everywhere, people holding big beautiful fish over their heads and parading them around the deck.

When it comes to marine life, the only thing I like to shoot is pictures and it was a disgusting nightmare for us. That particular week we got blown out of diving all along the SE coats from Jupiter to the Keys, this was the only diving we were able to do and it was rather disappointing.

Geez, me and my wife dived with them a year or so back. The boat was packed because the other area Dive Ops didn't go out due to anticipated marginal conditions (which never materialized). The diving itself was fine and we never had a safety concern, but the boat was mostly filled with spear-fishers and it was like massacre, with blood and guts everywhere, people holding big beautiful fish over their heads and parading them around the deck.

When it comes to marine life, the only thing I like to shoot is pictures and it was a disgusting nightmare for us. That particular week we got blown out of diving all along the SE coats from Jupiter to the Keys, this was the only diving we were able to do and it was rather disappointing.
I'm not going to comment on the ethical arguments for or against spearing, but I will say that it's been my experience that fish seem to be more active on days when the water is rough. I have personal theories as to why this may be, but I do not intend to post them until a formal paper is ready for publication. That aside, my basic observation stands. Rough water gets them active.

In other news... Palm Beach Scuba has been halted...

View attachment 859566
Thank you for the information. It's a shame that there is now one less option for those who wish to dive but it's good that standards are being paid attention to.

Strangely, the website seems to still be up & accepting reservations - Palm Beach Scuba | Scuba Diving Charters In Palm Beach

Where did you find the information about them being halted? When I google the name Palm Beach Scuba, I don't see anything about them getting shut down.

Where did you find the information about them being halted? When I google the name Palm Beach Scuba, I don't see anything about them getting shut down.

Seems like business as usual. If @DandyDon hasn't posted about it then it's not newsworthy.

Even that screenshot doesn't point out a serious problem. So what a minor incident led to one or more failed inspection items and they didn't have an official employee drug alcohol policy in place. "Uncredentialed Mariners". How many boats have crew performing operations they aren't officially trained for. Sounds like a bunch of BS propagated by an authority having a slow day that will blow over rather quickly.

There's plenty of structure, there just aren't any fish worth catching. Maybe because they're dove on so often.
There's another spot, less than a mile from there, that isn't so picked over. Or at least that's how it was the last time I was there. It's been a little while. It's not marked & it hardly shows up on a bottom finder. I stumbled across it quite by accident one day. Prospecting does eventually pay off. There's a lot of stuff down there that most people don't know about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom