Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's plenty of structure, there just aren't any fish worth catching. Maybe because they're dove on so often.
And it's been fished hard from above since the numbers have been public for many years. I even have the calibrated site plan layouts somewhere.

Thanks for the reply.

And it's been fished hard from above since the numbers have been public for many years. I even have the calibrated site plan layouts somewhere.

Thanks for the reply.
That makes sense

I forgot to add, after the 2nd dive rollcall, the captain puts the boat in gear, and we hear a loud BANG as a tank falls to the ground. This is followed by divers jumping around, a metal rolling sound, another clunk as a tank hits the back platform, the captain yelling for someone to grab it, and splash. One person did attempt to grab it and banged their hand up a little and luckily was fine. One of the dive guides jumped in but couldn't find it.

The person claims they had it single wrapped with the rope. I heard them say to the captain that they were heading to the dive shop to pay for the rental tank. This got me thinking, should the diver be liable?
The Captain is the Captain is the Captain. The Captain is ultimately responsible for his vessel, crew and equipment

This report is from a bit south of Palm Beach proper but placing here because I don't want to start an entirely new thread.

Went out yesterday (8/30/24) with Starfish Scuba in Boynton. We had Captain Chris and mate Katie. Topside conditions were FAR worse than forecasted. We had 3-4' seas at 5 sec instead of the 2-3s forecasted. Looks like the forecast for the weekend has now ticked up a bit too. But topside conditions were pretty miserable honestly. Starfish is not a large boat and we had 14 divers packed onto a serious bucking boat. Challenging conditions to say the least. At points we took some larger waves and many people went flying across the deck. Thankfully no tanks came loose.

Underwater conditions were much better. We had 85 F temps, blue water, 50-70' viz typically with some spots dropping a bit down to maybe 40'. Moderate to strong north current. Dive 1 was on Boynton Ledge. We had a pretty wicked west push most of the dive and given that I was towing the flag for our group of 3, I was working! Dive 2 was on the north end of Boynton Ledge into Lynn's reef. For this dive thankfully the strong west push abated, and the surface current was pretty much north as well but at a stronger clip. So towing the flag I was sailing along! We saw all of the usual tropicals but nothing more exciting on these dives. But LOTS of fish which is typical for Boynton.

Two great dives ... but getting back into the boat was an absolute bit$%. It was the hardest time I've had getting back onto a boat in quite awhile. But in the end, everyone that got in the water got back on the boat with no serious injuries. But man there was much work involved!!

Thanks @Divin'Papaw

Sounds like sporty seas. I had much milder conditions in Boynton and Palm Beach earlier in the week. I have not had challenging reboarding like you describe for some time. Yes, Starfish is crowded when it is full and then add the big seas!

Glad you had better visibility than I had. A strong west pull can make it a real workout for the flag carrier, finning constantly back to the reef.

Two awesome dives today with Pura Vida.

Captain Dean, Amber, Quinne and Dave were on duty today and totally crushed it. The crew worked hard taking care of customers - very impressed with the team! Even though I’m probably the least impactful customer, I don’t mind tipping generously for their work ethic and tailored approach.

Flower Garden was beautiful. I didn’t see any big sea life but the reef is so healthy with barrel sponges, brain coral and tons of beautiful, purple fan coral. Add on top of that the great variety of colorful fish. Current was turned up high today! When we got to the east-west trench there were only three of us left (DM, me and a regular customer) so we dropped in and swam amongst the schooling fish. When we popped up it was like what a dog must feel sticking its head out the window. It was nice to get some extra time on the dive (although I still had plenty of air).

Second dive was Teardrop. Strangely, almost zero current - just a rhythmic surge where you time your kicks accordingly - “kick-and-pause, kick-and-pause”. Two large moray eels, several large schools of fish with one school probably numbering 500-750. I took videos while helicoptering three times. I’ll try to get a screen shot up. It was simply amazing to see such a large school. Two gorgeous, healthy, adult lemon sharks made my day and then a nurse shark at the very end right below the last few of us as we made our way to the SS.

Diving off a semi-private boat tomorrow down around Ft Lauderdale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom