Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, that's it! Brazilian Docks is what I remember Mike from Kyalami (PVD alumnus) telling me about.

I just called PVD to talk with them about the possibility of scheduling the boat for a long drift dive with twinset. I'm expecting a call back from Justin who schedules their technical dives. I'm diving Paradise Springs this weekend otherwise I'd be back with PVD to talk with Dean or Jason directly.

The two-three hour drift dive I mentioned above isn't really feasible without expanding beyond a plain vanilla AL80 twinset. I ran a hypothetical profile of 18m / 54ft with 36% backgas. I picked 18m because that's just deep enough to see everything even if the bottom drops to 24-28m. That gas and depth profile yields a few minutes shy of 90 minutes without a deco obligation with the AL80 twinset. Not very much a technical dive - really just an advanced drift dive but a super fun profile nonetheless! That's a pretty good stretch of sightseeing as long as the terrain is promising.

Further news regarding the PBS incident.

1725550031600.png

Looks like that content came from a gofundme.

Having done the Ana C quite a few times now, I'm interested in skipping over it and the subsequent wrecks to save some gas so I can explore further north.
I've done the same and I don't think it would ever be an issue with the dive charter, although I guess you could let them know you'll be a bit further north than the rest of the group. But not by much. If you skip the Anna C but spend a good amount of time around the Brazilian Docks the time you skipped in the beginning is going to be made up for at the end of the dive. What I'm trying to say is you won't end up that much further North. I'd be surprised if you'd even make to the Danny, that's a stretch even if you spent only a couple of minutes on each wreck.

Edited to add, as per the post by @MrChen even with a DPV you're not going to get much further than the barge on a good day.

Yep, that's it! Brazilian Docks is what I remember Mike from Kyalami (PVD alumnus) telling me about.

I just called PVD to talk with them about the possibility of scheduling the boat for a long drift dive with twinset. I'm expecting a call back from Justin who schedules their technical dives. I'm diving Paradise Springs this weekend otherwise I'd be back with PVD to talk with Dean or Jason directly.

The two-three hour drift dive I mentioned above isn't really feasible without expanding beyond a plain vanilla AL80 twinset. I ran a hypothetical profile of 18m / 54ft with 36% backgas. I picked 18m because that's just deep enough to see everything even if the bottom drops to 24-28m. That gas and depth profile yields a few minutes shy of 90 minutes without a deco obligation with the AL80 twinset. Not very much a technical dive - really just an advanced drift dive but a super fun profile nonetheless! That's a pretty good stretch of sightseeing as long as the terrain is promising.

How many is a Brazilian?
But seriously, why is it called Brazilian docks?

I’ve been saying for years, that’d be the way to dive in these reefs with these currents, for those capable, I think it’s a much better option than going back to surface and back down again for a second dive.

In fact, some years ago I did an “investigative” dive to scout the area for that possibility, did it in Jupiter, started on the southern most reef, dropped down with the group and coordinated with the captain I’d stay down and scooter north, where the group would do the second dive on the northern most reef, half way through the dive, which was the combined time of the 2 single tank dives plus the surface interval, I realized I still had a long ways to go and went full power on my XK scooter, still didn’t make it to the group or the northern most reef.

I had a lot of the logistics worked out, since I was doing this from both the perspective of the diver as well as the boat/crew.

Anyway, can you please post here or message me if it happens, I’d be interested in doing it.

How many is a Brazilian?

I've never heard why it is called that. Even the Reef Smart Guide for Palm Beach, which covers the Corridor Wreck Trek very thoroughly and shows Brazilian Docks, doesn't mention why they are called that, at least not that I could find.

How many is a Brazilian?
Take a look at a map. See what street it's at the end of. Then guess the names of the two docks next to it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom