Ok im getting a BP and Wing setup...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are quick release straps on comfort harnesses, but you don't need one. They cost more, and it adds one more thing on your chest that you don't need. If you're hog harness is adjusted properly, you can just "chicken wing" one arm and it will slide right off. It will take an hour or so to set up the webbing the first time on the hog harness, but it's well worth it in my opinion. And don't fear the crotch strap, it makes the whole system stay put.
Jason

scrapdizzy:
Thanks guys!!

One questions. Is there any harness that allows for a "quick release" type at the shoulder? When I tried on that Halcyon the most rememberable part was that it took 2 people to help me get it off! Wheras with my BC I can just release the shoujld strap and slip out of it.

Yes, these harnesses are available. Some people like them. Many do not. There are a couple of quite simple techniques for getting out of the harness without the quick release. At 6' 245, I can get out of mine, on land in under 8 seconds.

The thing you have to remember is that the BP/W is really designed to be optimal UNDER the water. You spend a couple of minutes on your dive on land, and an hour or more under the water. To me, it's worth having the more secure 1-piece harness without the quick release.

Some of us strap 120-150 pounds on this thing. Having something that allows it to just "slip off" would make me pretty nervous. I prefer to have it come off when *I* want it to.

Yes! I know for a fact that OMS makes a harness that has your choice of either one or two quick releases. That's the best thing about the BP/W! It's the most flexible system out there. I'm shure that there are many other companys out there that sell the type of harness your looking for.

Edit: I agree with Perrone though, I like the security of a one piece. I also let my buddys know that should anything ever happen to me down there, and they have to get me out of my rig, then cut the da*m harness! I can always get a new one (That's another reason why I always dive with my a knife).

Is it too late to make a suggestion?

I'm suprised no one's suggested Apex. Got myself a plate, #32 wing, STA, weight pockets, D-rings, and hog harness for ~$600. Pretty sweet setup.

laivindil:

I'm suprised no one's suggested Apex. Got myself a plate, #32 wing, STA, weight pockets, D-rings, and hog harness for ~$600. Pretty sweet setup.

Good call, I like this alot...where do you buy them?

wtx_harness_zoom.jpg

laivindil:

No one suggested it because we're not impressed by it. The wing is not as robust as the other options here, and it's more expensive. It's a nice first effort by a regulator company, but other people are doing it better for less money.

It's got small d-rings in places guaranteed to snag (behind the diver where it would be impossible for diver to free themselves), plastic fastex buckes that add points of failure, padding on the back and shoulders which require the diver to wear more weight to sink it, it lacks clean shoulder straps were your backup lights would go, and it has weight pockets where a primary light would go.

I'll stick with the tried and proven, thanks.

I recently purchased a DSS single tank rig with the large backplate (I'm 6'3" and about 208 lbs) and the Torus 35 lb wing. I got the pro-fit harness with the quick-release buckles in part because I was concerned about a left shoulder rotator cuff problem from last year (aggravated by too much swimming). That is already mostly resolved and won't be an issue going forward.

I have used the quick-release a few times for convenience, but even with my shoulder trouble I can easily get in and out of the harness with those buckles fastened. I just get my left arm started through the harness first, and the right side is limber enough to do the rest. Although I like the pro-fit harness - in fact, I like everything about the whole system - when the time comes to replace the webbing, I will go with a more Hogarthian rig just because it's simpler.

I don't hang a lot of weight off my harness and am not going to be penetrating wrecks or caves, but in any case I really have no concern at all about the integrity of those quick-release buckles. The whole rig is very robust and well made, and the quality of the workmanship is evident in every part of the system, from the finish on the backplate to the stitching on the wing. No doubt other people also make good bp/wing systems, but one of the other best reasons to go with DSS is the feedback and assistance you get from Tobin in choosing the right gear for the type of diving you intend to do with it. I have been very impressed with his participation in this forum and with his individualized e-mail advice.

The pro-fit harness comes with enough webbing in it to fit around a much bigger person than me, but exactly how large a person can use one of these harnesses (without "customizing" by adding some more webbing) is a question that Tobin can answer better than I can.

I think that you should not go wit Hog or DIR, The idea behind them are good, with contuinous hareness but at the same time they are hard to get in and out of. They might be a little bit cheaper, but dont sub on something that is going to be comfort. Before you buy your bp/w you should decide which tanks you are going to be diving. Whether is it doubles or singles and if you are going to be using stage or deco bottles. I find that the OMS Comfort harness or IQ pack is the way to go, It can handle up to double 20 litre backgas. Now if you are using doubles and stage(s) the Bladder 94 pound lift. It perfect, now the bands on the wings are good, it is nice and compact and very easy to inflate. I have never run into a problem with the double bladder. I think that you never know what is going to happen even with a balance rigs. Now going with Dir and Hog is nice, but its not right. You should be able to choice what is best for you. Not being told what to do. I dont agree with the DIR or Hog Primary being in the long hose. Its one thing for warm water, But if you are going to being diving in cold water then its not smart, because of the free flow. I think that instead of being told what to do, should think about what is best for you.

scrapdizzy:
Thanks guys!!

One questions. Is there any harness that allows for a "quick release" type at the shoulder? When I tried on that Halcyon the most rememberable part was that it took 2 people to help me get it off! Wheras with my BC I can just release the shoujld strap and slip out of it.

Alot of people will advise you against this, but if I were doing it over, I'd get a hog harness with a single quick disconnect, probably down low on the left shoulder strap. Alot of people say you don't need one, but I have really square and forward shoulders that make it tough to get the hog harness off; putting it on is a little PITA but no big deal. To me a single disconnect is a real convenience.

The main objection people have to the quick disconnect is that it's a possible failure point, but remember 2 things; one is that those same plastic disconnects are used on almost every backpack made, and it's typical to carry 40-50lbs up mountains with them. The other thing is that in the water, there is zero weight loading on the harness, so IMO the only way you'll break one of those things is by dropping a tank on it. As a solution to that, just buy two and keep a spare in your dive kit. I did actually look for SS quick disconnects and found 1.5", but no 2". I'm sure they're out there for the ultra paranoid!:wink:

Another thing is that even if something REALLY weird happened and it broke mid dive, the waist belt and other shoulder strap would keep your rig more or less in place; it wouldn't be as secure of course, but it wouldn't be a disaster either. Next up, SS fin clips and mask clips!

scrapdizzy:
Good call, I like this alot...where do you buy them?

Scrappy... if you are interested in the Apeks, we carry them at our shop... Scuba Specialties on West Bell.

Scubajcf uses this one as do many of our staff.

If you are interested in trying one on, I'd suggest calling first. Sometimes we don't have them in stock. You could ask Scubajcf if you could try on one of his. Send him a pm. He goes to the lake quite often. Maybe you could meet up and try one out.

Like Peronne above, the Apeks isn't my favorite, either. But... the folks that have them at our shop seem to really like theirs.

We also carry Agir and OMS... You might like the OMS with the comfort harness/quick release. This is one of the best rigs available. The Agir is a bit more esoteric but is one of the cleanest DIR BP/wing rigs made. It makes for a great nucleus for a pure Hog rig.

I'd suggest that you slow down and take time to think this through. There are some nuances to consider before making a purchase.

Also... unless you plan to buy used it may very well cost more than the 500 you mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom