Oh, this is going to be good

Diaphragm or Piston regulator???

• DIAPHRAGM

Votes: 65 66.3%
  • PISTON

Votes: 33 33.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave,

I noticed you posted the wrong photo...I have enclosed the correct one.

No, EZ, I believe the first one was correct. I know this because I saw Calvin last week diving an APeks...

Me? Troll? Never.....

Willer :D

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Dave,

I noticed you posted the wrong photo...I have enclosed the correct one.

Hey, whatever floats your boat!

Dave D

But, for the sake of fairness, we should probably settle on a Calvin peeing on something most of us can agree needs peeing on...

Perhaps...

SpareAir?

Ear-equalizing masks?

Suicide clips?

Anyone? Bueller?

Curly once bubbled...
But, for the sake of fairness, we should probably settle on a Calvin peeing on something most of us can agree needs peeing on...

Perhaps...

SpareAir?

Ear-equalizing masks?

Suicide clips?.......

For every poster there will be an opinion. The scary thing is that the companies that sell those things are alive and doing well, which means peoople buy them!

Dave D

dmdalton once bubbled...

For every poster there will be an opinion. The scary thing is that the companies that sell those things are alive and doing well, which means peoople buy them!

Dave D

So true, and hence my feeble attempt to find neutral ground in an area that is pretty much devoid of it.

I suppose we could all agree on the concept depicted in that riotous web site with "DEW" stories.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
The Pro-Piston guys will tell you that the newer pistons work just fine in cold water, cuz they got this new fandangled thang called a thermal isolaater protectur thingy that'll just kinda set there and portec that lil ole piston... Also, they are a fail safe design, which means that if they fail, they fail open (freeflow). If you have a failure of the diaphragm on a D reg, they fail CLOSED, which means, uhhhh, sorry no air today bubba... And they will also say, pistons are more rugged and need less tweaking and tuning and are a workhorse reg...

I say, get a diaphragm... I HATE piston regs... [/B]

Cold water? Who wants to dive in cold water? You'll catch your death.

As for the rest: fail open, less maintenance concerns--yup. I also like that swivel action.

I don't HATE diaphragm regs. I just don't see any advantage.

Well, alot of us dive in cold water. Not to mention the fact that a diaphragm reg stays alot cleaner inside. Also, there are some diaphragm regs with a swivel portion on the LP ports. So, I dont know what you are talking about that you dont see an advantage, Ive given you two.

First, you said, "The pro-piston guys will tell you...."

I pointed out why your were incorrect in your assessment.

Second, you haven't given me two advantages--you've given me one. Since I'm not diving in cold water (which to me means anything below about 55F), cold water advantages are a non-issue.

Honestly, though, I haven't seen any sign of this presumed cleanliness advantage. I dive regularly in a silty lake. My second stages get a bit a silt in them, but my first stage is nice and clean. Again, then, a non-issue.

So, if all you say is correct, diaphragm first-stages are ideal for ice diving and golfball retrieval.

Ho hum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom