Oceanic iPhone case is now a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's good to keep in mind that many different types of divers read these boards. For someone that dives 2 or 3 times a year in the Florida keys on vacation and is already into the Apple ecosystem this may work very well. Someone doing 300 dives in exotic locations probably not so much.
It is absolutely not a PLB. It's a means of communications that is better than nothing for people that aren't into diving enough to buy a PLB.
If I already own an Iphone (I have the new 14 pro sitting in front of me, came today) and an iWatch, adding this case and getting all of that capability makes sense for a recreational diver. It's kind of the same as jacket vs wing BCD, they both work for some divers.
I get that there may be a target audience, and without a reliability track record this is just speculation, but convenience is only one variable in the equation. We'll need to see it in the field, but I assume that case is not as fail proof as a dedicated dive computer. If your GoPro case fails at 130 feet, you go without taking pictures. If your computer case fails, your dive trip may be over if you don't want to use tables or if you can't rent a computer. Not to mention, you may have just lost a $1,000 phone. Everything has its pluses and minuses and everyone has to decide for themselves what risk they are willing to tolerate. I'm not a seasoned diver and I would still rather rely on a dedicated computer.

I get that there may be a target audience, and without a reliability track record this is just speculation, but convenience is only one variable in the equation. We'll need to see it in the field, but I assume that case is not as fail proof as a dedicated dive computer. If your GoPro case fails at 130 feet, you go without taking pictures. If your computer case fails, your dive trip may be over if you don't want to use tables or if you can't rent a computer. Not to mention, you may have just lost a $1,000 phone. Everything has its pluses and minuses and everyone has to decide for themselves what risk they are willing to tolerate. I'm not a seasoned diver and I would still rather rely on a dedicated computer.
Do apple and oceanic lack track records?

Do apple and oceanic lack track records?
I'm assuming this is a sarcastic rhetorical question. Is this not a brand new product that has no field track record?

But remember if you have the watch, you already have redundancy

If you put the new iPhone 14 in this case you have
1. A dive computer
2. An underwater camera
3. A device capable of sending a satellite SOS even when not in Cell phone coverage range

Combine it with the new iWatch ultra and you have a backup computer

Pretty amazing
Is there a new feature with the 14? or would this work with a 13 pro max?

Honestly I pay subscriptions for all sorts of software so I have a hard time getting stressed about it. It’s really becoming the new normal

Yes, the new "normal" how to rip customers off, charge them even more and leave with no product once they stop paying. Congratulations on your subscriptions. Or should I say rentals.

Also this.... Chinese nylon, now in German-grade™.

1669298566128.png

Yes, the new "normal" how to rip customers off, charge them even more and leave with no product once they stop paying. Congratulations on your subscriptions. Or should I say rentals.

Also this.... Chinese nylon, now in German-grade™.

View attachment 755051
Your choice is pay the rental or don't use the software. Anyone who thinks it's going back is probably dreaming of horseshoes and J-Valves. Because of how accounting works the subscription model is so much more valuable. They aren't going back, Everyone knows German-Grade is the finest nylon! :cool:

Aaach yes, let's just call it a new norm and move on while calling anybody criticizing an old fart wanting to go back to medieval times. Because wow, subscriptions are bringing so much into our life, like how could we have ever managed without it before! So great, so revolutionary! It changes everything, it makes breakfast, changes diapers, cures cancer and even takes us to Mars! Its not like it just another gimmick invented to purely benefit scummy companies and their greedy shareholders, right? Right ?

"Because of how accounting works the subscription model is so much more valuable." The whaaat? Did you actually wrote it yourself or just copied it from a corporate presentation ?
"Because we have found a great way of how to both rip you off and assure ourselves that we will be able to continue doing so by making you own nothing".
There, fixed it for ya.

Next thing we will see loot crates in dive computers - "Oooch look if you pay us 5.99 you will get a chance to win +5 min of NDL! . And for another 9.99* you can get a golden skin for your computer. Every cool diver dives with that one! And it comes with a free Fortnite badge, how cool is that! Show other divers who is da boss! (*valid for one month only, thereafter 59.99./month Subscription must be cancelled by a registered letter, written in latin, on skin from your right butt cheek, signed by 3 attorneys and your nana and sent at least 3 years in advance.) "

Also, while scummy companies forcing subscriptions and micro transactions are a problem, people paying for these are one too.

Back
Top Bottom