Review Apple Watch Ultra - A week in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the "water droplet" by the time of day mean?
I believe that is the "water lock" mode. When it dive mode, it disables the touch screen and a few other things. After you finish the dive, you hold the digital crown for a couple seconds and the watch ejects any water from the ambient chamber.

Even without the app there are a couple of things the watch needs IMO. First the dive time needs to be at least cumulative for the day. Right now if you surface the timer starts over and you lose the dive time for the previous dive. For perfect profiles that is OK but I come up and down several times per dive. Also, the compass has to be accessible under water.

Display-wise, no competition with my admittedly cheap Puck. The watch is positively luminous in the water.

I believe that is the "water lock" mode. When it dive mode, it disables the touch screen and a few other things. After you finish the dive, you hold the digital crown for a couple seconds and the watch ejects any water from the ambient chamber.

"A series of tones plays to clear any water that remains in the speaker"

What is the "water droplet" by the time of day mean?
It's indicating that the watch is in "Water Lock" and the touch screen is disabled. (to avoid false input from the water)

edit: sorry, the previous replies didn't show up until after I typed my response

I signed up to be notified when the Oceanic+ app is released and it is out now. Downloaded it, but there isn't much to do until I dive in January. Will post an updated review of the app when I've used it.

Where is NDL on the display?
It's not on the display that parzdiver posted, because that's just the depth gauge feature on the watch. Based on the reviews I've seen of the Oceanic+ app, the NDL is on the "home" dive screen.

Follow up - I have used the watch with the Oceanic software and, in general, I like it. The display is clear and easy to read and understand. The conservatism is easy to set and uses gradient factors. I was able to set the watch to the same settings as my Perdix. The watch was slightly LESS conservative with the same settings as the Perdix, typically by no more than a couple minutes - watch showed 24 minutes NDL, Predix showed 22.

One issue I encountered was my last dive of the trip, there was a bit of current. I put the watch in Dive Mode prior to my giant stride. I was hanging on the tag line waiting for the other divers and was in current. It seems that the pressure from the current caused the watch to register a "dive" to 4 feet, and then a "surface". The watch had left dive mode. I didn't realize this until I was at depth, since I was primarily looking at my Perdix. There was no way to get it into dive mode at that point. I sent an e-mail to Huish and they acknowledged the dive-surface-dive issue and said they are working on an update so this doesn't happen. If it was my only computer, maybe I would have noticed, maybe not. There is an automatic launch setting, which I have active, but apparently the state it landed in didn't let that kick on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom