Oceanic iPhone case is now a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also very interesting. No real-world timeline though:

Will the Oceanic+ Dive Housing have air integration?​

"This feature is in our future roadmap, as well as additional application features to enhance the in-water experience. We hope to announce more soon."

Also very interesting. No real-world timeline though:

Will the Oceanic+ Dive Housing have air integration?​

"This feature is in our future roadmap, as well as additional application features to enhance the in-water experience. We hope to announce more soon."

That video was downright annoying: it’s a poor man’s version of an Apple keynote.

From the vocabulary to the tone used, the way to introduce different speakers and the visual codes for the recap slate… maybe if it was a high school project, but here, sad.

Re: the product now. The same subscription based model *may* be ok for an app, but for a case you pay $500, it sucks.
Best to consider it strictly as a housing device that also displays depth.

With a release date in September, one can hope they got the specs of the new iPhones so they can support them. Not too concerned on that end, they are Apple partners.
The case is however extremely bulky, much larger than my iPhone 14 Pro. Maybe to accommodate the Max? Either way, disappointed in that regards.

As for the air integration piece, I don’t expect it’s something the housing itself would support but rather an app update if/when Apple adds that capability on their watches and iPhones.

All in all, for that price, I’m not convinced.
And I do use their app on my watch as a backup computer to my Teric.

That video was downright annoying: it’s a poor man’s version of an Apple keynote.

Huish doesn't have the money and resources that Apple has? Oh, say it isn't so! How was the video compared to your home videos?

Huish doesn't have the money and resources that Apple has? Oh, say it isn't so! How was the video compared to your home videos?
My “issue” with it isn’t its lack of polish. It’s that they’re trying too hard to be Apple.

Huish is a (much) smaller company, likely more low key and approachable than Apple (that’s at least my perception of them). Nothing wrong with that at all.

I would have wanted their video to reflect *their* brand, be themselves, rather than try to imitate poorly another brand (Apple).

I can hardly believe I'm typing this out loud.

I just ordered (pre-ordered) one of these cases, and I was already thinking about getting an Apple Watch Ultra....

My, how times change... LOL!

I recently learned that I can load an app on the AWU that will let me unlock my truck (pending having signal reception). There are times when that would be really nice. I.e. doing shore dives. That's what got me to thinking about getting the AWU. And I don't need an Oceanic+ subscription for that.

I also recently thought I would get a new GoPro (mine is a Hero 3...) when the new model comes out next month. But, I already have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. This case will let me use my phone for (mostly) the same things I was thinking of buying the new GoPro for.

Time will tell, but I *think* my use of this case underwater won't require me to pay for the Oceanic+ subscription, either. My thought is that I would shoot/record in RAW mode, so I don't need the Oceanic app to do color-correction for me.

Regardless, we want to get one to play with and be able to have it at the shop to show to customers. I suspect if we have one and have some cool photos to show from using it, we can likely sell a decent # of them.

As for the concern about working with future iPhone models, I had the same thought. After watching the videos, etc., I think that is not a concern at all, really. The housing is made already so that you can fit different models of phone in there. It looks like it has some clips and a spring-loaded (?) deal in there so it can be adjusted to hold older iPhones all the way up to the 14 Pro Max.

And, it appears that there is no physical connection between the case and phone. It's just Bluetooth. So, as long as Apple doesn't make a new model that is physically too large to go in this case, the case should work just fine for future models that come out. It's not like Apple is going to take Bluetooth support out of their future phones.

I first thought that the phone's power connector might be an issue. My phone has a Lightning connector, but Apple is supposedly changing to USB-C on the iPhone 15 or 16. But, I realized that the case does not connect to the phone at all to provide power. The case being "rechargeable" just means that it has its own battery for running the pressure sensor, arrow-keypad, and Bluetooth. Charging the case is for that. It has nothing to do with the phone's battery. So, it doesn't matter what connector type the phone has.

Still not sure if I'll get the watch. Probably not. I have two Terics. The Apple watch would really only be to unlock my truck after shore dives and, right now, I already have a Hitchsafe to store my key in while I'm in the water and it works fine (and doesn't depend on having cell signal). But, the case is a neat idea. Especially if you already have an iPhone. The way it is designed, I can't see any reason at all why Oceanic couldn't make an Android version of their app and then you could put an Android phone in the same case and use it the same way.

They probably have some deal with Apple that they will not do that. But, I bet that deal has some time limit on it. I won't be surprised if Oceanic+ for Android comes out sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.

If they go AI, it will probably be with the PPS transmitter :) . I will never own any of this ****

I don't want my dive computer to be my camera, or vice versa.

I also recently thought I would get a new GoPro (mine is a Hero 3...) when the new model comes out next month. But, I already have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. This case will let me use my phone for (mostly) the same things I was thinking of buying the new GoPro for.
This case looks monstrously large compared to a GoPro and, while it has a grip on the right side (when in shooting position), it doesn’t look that ergonomic to hold on the left/lens side. Also not sure how you’d attach and clip-off when not using.

I guess it might make sense if you wanted to bring your phone - but I prefer to leave my phone topside and spend less $ on the much smaller form factor GoPro.

BTW - you would notice a monstrous difference between the GoPro 3 and the 11. The 12 looks to be a disappointment as it does not appear to offer anything meaningful - was hoping the 1” sensor rumors were true… maybe the 13 will bring that!

From the vocabulary to the tone used, the way to introduce different speakers and the visual codes for the recap slate… maybe if it was a high school project, but here, sad.

Re: the product now. The same subscription based model *may* be ok for an app, but for a case you pay $500, it sucks.
Best to consider it strictly as a housing device that also displays depth.

With a release date in September, one can hope they got the specs of the new iPhones so they can support them. Not too concerned on that end, they are Apple partners.
The case is however extremely bulky, much larger than my iPhone 14 Pro. Maybe to accommodate the Max? Either way, disappointed in that regards.

As for the air integration piece, I don’t expect it’s something the housing itself would support but rather an app update if/when Apple adds that capability on their watches and iPhones.

All in all, for that price, I’m not convinced.
And I do use their app on my watch as a backup computer to my Teric.
Most product launches are annoying these days as they all try to copy the Steve Jobs/Apple launch presentation format - no originality these days.

Most product launches are annoying these days as they all try to copy the Steve Jobs/Apple launch presentation format

The Apple format works pretty well, which is why people are copying it. Less boring than one talking head, or a slide show.

The Apple format works pretty well, which is why people are copying it. Less boring than one talking head, or a slide show.
But everyone else comes across as cheap knock offs - laziness and lack of creativity imho…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom