Oceanic iPhone case is now a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently learned that I can load an app on the AWU that will let me unlock my truck (pending having signal reception).

You don't need a cell signal. It uses a local connection (I believe NFC).

Time will tell, but I *think* my use of this case underwater won't require me to pay for the Oceanic+ subscription, either

It doesn't require a subscription. In fact, the DC still works in gauge mode w/o subscription- sort of a viewfinder HUD for depth readings. Also- one subscription covers both Apple Watch Ultra & housing for full DC.

I recently learned that I can load an app on the AWU that will let me unlock my truck (pending having signal reception).

You don't need a cell signal. It uses a local connection (I believe NFC).

It would depend on the app/car.

For instance with my Ford, starting the engine and controlling the doors (lock/unlock) are achieved through internet: need either WiFi or cell signal on the watch.
The front and rear trunks can only be opened/closed when within Bluetooth range.

So... the phone housing hardware/ software is rated to 196' whereas the Apple Watch Ultra application limits you to 130' with the same application/ subscription?

So... the phone housing hardware/ software is rated to 196' whereas the Apple Watch Ultra application limits you to 130' with the same application/ subscription?

The Oceanic+ depth limitation on the watch likely comes from the AWU limits.
The app itself would likely work with at any depth (ish).

I can't see any reason at all why Oceanic couldn't make an Android version of their app and then you could put an Android phone in the same case and use it the same way

Sealife makes a case with adapters to several Samsung models, so for Oceanic to be able to do it shouldn't be an issue. They may license the design from Sealife too.

I'd rather wait for the TG7 to come out myself.

I already use the AWU as my dive computer. This is pretty interesting dive housing and I'd consider instead of a GoPro given you invest so much in your iPhones camera already why not take advantage of that. Also good that you can use the same subscription across the AWU and iPhone (as a back-up computer). Only thing I don't like is converting the US$490 price tag to Aussie dollars. Local retailers are taking back orders with RRP at AU$980! Hard pass. Makes the $600 GoPro look like much better value

I already use the AWU as my dive computer. This is pretty interesting dive housing and I'd consider instead of a GoPro given you invest so much in your iPhones camera already why not take advantage of that. Also good that you can use the same subscription across the AWU and iPhone (as a back-up computer). Only thing I don't like is converting the US$490 price tag to Aussie dollars. Local retailers are taking back orders with RRP at AU$980! Hard pass. Makes the $600 GoPro look like much better value
And in the event of a leak - the GoPro is way cheaper to replace and, if you buy a GoPro subscription, I believe they would replace a flooded camera as well.

It’s also a MUCH smaller form factor if that is important to you.

FWIW I really think the case is pretty well built with all the functionalities.
The disadvantage about the case is that when you already own something that has some of its functionalities, then the case becomes much unappealing to you.
With that being said, if you already own a GoPro and an AI computer, then the incentive to buy the case is going to be low.
In the other hand, this might be a nice product to own for new divers who has an iPhone, or for someone who hasn't have a GoPro nor an AI yet.
This is simply an all-in-one product with a pretty specified target audience.

FYI - I have an iPhone 15 pro Max on order and was looking at getting this case so I emailed Oceanic+ and got an interesting response:

My Message:
Is the new Oceanic+ Dive Housing going to be able to support the new
iPhone 15 that has the USB-C plug instead of the Apple Lightning
connector on the iPhone 14 and previous phones?

Their Response:
Hello
Unfortunately since the iPhone 15 series is not available yet, we are unable to guarantee if it is compatible with the Oceanic+ housing. Further testing will need to be done once the iPhone 15 series is available.
Kind regards,
CUSTOMER CARE

FYI - I have an iPhone 15 pro Max on order and was looking at getting this case so I emailed Oceanic+ and got an interesting response:

My Message:
Is the new Oceanic+ Dive Housing going to be able to support the new
iPhone 15 that has the USB-C plug instead of the Apple Lightning
connector on the iPhone 14 and previous phones?

Their Response:
Hello
Unfortunately since the iPhone 15 series is not available yet, we are unable to guarantee if it is compatible with the Oceanic+ housing. Further testing will need to be done once the iPhone 15 series is available.
Kind regards,
CUSTOMER CARE

I can only hope this is a miscommunication between the product team and their customer arrive department.
It is unimaginable they would create this product and launch it at the same time as the new iPhones without having cleared compatibility upfront.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom