Oceanic Code and Macs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abcitydiver

Registered
Reaction score
Have owned macs ONLY since 1991 -
currently in our household: 2 macbook pros, one imac, one iphone
I own an oceanic atom2..HATE the software, AND have to run it through parallels..which stinks.
There is no reason why Oceanic shouldnt open up the code.
We travel with 4 other couples ....all mac users, all refusing to buy an Atom2 (while they admit they love mine) because the software wont run with divelog.

Macs are expensive, the atom 2 is expensive -
people who buy expensive in one category are likely to in another as well -
especially since both these "categories" are tech/gadget oriented...duh.

Oceanic...we challenge you to open the code to divelog.

I second the motion to open up the code so one of us computer geeks can make it work with the Macintosh. The days of PC only world is quickly diminishing. Apple is starting to take a larger share of the market each year. Keep ignoring the inevitable and you might just lose to another company that does have mac software. I, for one, would buy any dive computer that was mac compatible.

I love my Mac and I love my Oceanic computer. Why can't they be friends? I agree with the first thread, paralles are not the answer. Why should we have to buy a separate computer "PC" just to run our dive logs? Again I love my computer and actually am considering an Atom as a back up. It would be awesome to use the money from buying a new "PC" for the Atom. I hope for a brave new future where people and computers can get along! Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

There are some significant, yet not impossible hurdles to overcome for either open code or a Mac version of the software. We're listening -

OK, if you're listening - Mac compatibility is what finally decided me to get a
Suunto Cobra instead of a Pro Plus 2, although I really liked the large numbers on the Oceanic.
The Cobra at least has macdivelog, DiveLog.
I couldn't find a solution for the Pro Plus 2.

Not that I'm happy with Suunto's attitude to mac or open formats, but at least
someone had cracked the format already.

Open would be best. It's not like 3rd party software alternatives will cost you anything. The reality is the opposite.

There are some significant, yet not impossible hurdles to overcome for either open code or a Mac version of the software. We're listening -

There is one good reson for relesing code to comunicate with dive computers.

You will sell more computers.

becouse

there will be more choice in software

you wont have to spend lost developing software, otheres will do it.

Be the first company to do it be the leader.

I have to agree. I have an Oceanic Atom 1.0, and all macs. I didn't realize this would be an issue when I bought it, but now that I know, I will be less likely to (as in, I won't) upgrade to another Oceanic computer. :/ A shame, too - I'm enjoying my Atom.

What if you folks were to share the code privately to someone who has already created mac diving software so there can be at least one option available for now? Such as the creators of MacDiveLog?

Rather than trying to increase internal Oceanic resources to port OceanLog to other OS platforms,
what about opening up the serial data transfer protocol to a very limited number of
3rd party developers under strict NDA and possibly a final approval licensing agreement?

This would allow 3rd party s/w developers to integrate native support for the
Oceanic/Aeris/Sheerwood product lines into their products with minimal support
resources from Oceanic.

It doesn't get Oceanic a common "OceanLog" product across multiple platforms,
but it does get Oceanic some form of download support on multiple platforms
which knocks down another potential sales barrier for the products.

Perhaps, there is even something that could be exchanged in return for this support,
something like DL7 support, or other import type functions.

There are probably less than a half a dozen guys out there that this would/could involve.
Initial priority could be given to those developers that are creating products on platforms
other and Windows. i.e. Linux MAC OS, Palm, Windows Pocket PC, etc...
The Reefnet source/documentation model would be ideal but if that isn't possible,
support could be limited to supplying code fragements and you could license it
with a restriction that you guys get to do a final approval/review before the 3rd party
support is offered to end users.
You could also structure the NDA agreement to ensure that end users never see or
have access to your source code, transfer protocols, internal data structures,
or anything else that you consider valuable/proprietary intellectual property.

The net result would be that Oceanic could pick up s/w support on some additional
platforms and increase the brainshare for Oceanic products; all good things.

--- Bill

Rather than trying to increase internal Oceanic resources to port OceanLog to other OS platforms,
what about opening up the serial data transfer protocol to a very limited number of
3rd party developers under strict NDA and possibly a final approval licensing agreement?

This would allow 3rd party s/w developers to integrate native support for the
Oceanic/Aeris/Sheerwood product lines into their products with minimal support
resources from Oceanic.

It doesn't get Oceanic a common "OceanLog" product across multiple platforms,
but it does get Oceanic some form of download support on multiple platforms
which knocks down another potential sales barrier for the products.

Perhaps, there is even something that could be exchanged in return for this support,
something like DL7 support, or other import type functions.

There are probably less than a half a dozen guys out there that this would/could involve.
Initial priority could be given to those developers that are creating products on platforms
other and Windows. i.e. Linux MAC OS, Palm, Windows Pocket PC, etc...
The Reefnet source/documentation model would be ideal but if that isn't possible,
support could be limited to supplying code fragements and you could license it
with a restriction that you guys get to do a final approval/review before the 3rd party
support is offered to end users.
You could also structure the NDA agreement to ensure that end users never see or
have access to your source code, transfer protocols, internal data structures,
or anything else that you consider valuable/proprietary intellectual property.

The net result would be that Oceanic could pick up s/w support on some additional
platforms and increase the brainshare for Oceanic products; all good things.

--- Bill

I would second bill's comments. I am the founder of a software company that has built electronic lab notebooks for scientists. I would be happy to talk to oceanic about pulling data from the computers and delivering a mac/linux/web interface for these awesome dive comps. I too have macs at home and really have difficulty and angst with poor software delivered with top notch hardware. Oceanic, PM me if you are interested in a discussion! I think we could work wonders for your dive log software.

-Robin

I'm betting there is a money issue based on the way Doug stated his position. Someone they contracted has written the algorithm, so opening it up or adding a new package to access might require a new amendment to a contract. That takes both $$$ and time.

Could possibly the same company that is writing the desktop software, and you better believe that they are not motivated to open it up and allow money to go to some other company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom