Nitrox Tank Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cranstonjdc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Do you have to buy Nitrox tanks? Can you use a normal scuba tank? Im planning on doing the enriched air certification and was just curious.

Regular tanks, they just have to be O2 cleaned before you start using them with Nitrox. Any dive shop should be able to do this for you.

Regular tanks, they just have to be O2 cleaned before you start using them with Nitrox. Any dive shop should be able to do this for you.

Wrong!

You only have to O2 clean a Nitrox tank when you're doing "partial pressure blending". Partial Pressure blending is when they mix the nitrox by first introducing 100% Oxygen into the tank and then topping it off with o2 clean compressed air.

If you're going to get "banked", or DNX blended, or some other mixing methods, you don't have to have an o2 cleaned tank for blends less than 40% Nitrox. You just direct fill it.

If you ever go above 40%, for deco gas for example, then you'll need a 02 cleaned tank.

Wrong!

You only have to O2 clean a Nitrox tank when you're doing "partial pressure blending". Partial Pressure blending is when they mix the nitrox by first introducing 100% Oxygen into the tank and then topping it off with o2 clean compressed air.

If you're going to get "banked", or DNX blended, or some other mixing methods, you don't have to have an o2 cleaned tank for blends less than 40% Nitrox. You just direct fill it.

If you ever go above 40%, for deco gas for example, then you'll need a 02 cleaned tank.

Would you deem it good advice to have the tank O2 cleaned so he can have his tank filled either way? I live within 6 miles of six dive shops. 3 use the partial pressure method and 3 use banked EAN. I am sure the shops using the partial pressure method would appreciate.

Wrong!

Thanks for clarifying, as I read the question originally, the OP asked about tanks. The answer to that question is NO, you don't need special tanks. As you just posted and Valhalla asked, how do you know which shop to be prepared for? It was my understanding if you have them O2 cleaned first you have no worries on which method is used for your Nitrox fills. I figured this would come up as soon as I hit the post reply button and I almost went back and edited my original response for the same reason. At least he got a good solid response from you.

Remember, if you do clean your tanks, you shouldn't fill them using non 02 clean compressors without getting them re-cleaned. That would include most boat and personal compressors and even some shop compressors.

So the tanks you see with the nitrox stickers can they be used for regular air and nitrox or just nitrox?

So the tanks you see with the nitrox stickers can they be used for regular air and nitrox or just nitrox?

The label is there to warn people that the tank MAY contain something other than air. It might NOT. But it might.

That's the real reason for the label.

But once you get your tanks O2 cleaned for partial pressure blending, you don't want to contaminate them with regular (crappy) air. Most shops that fill Nitrox can also provide O2 compatible air.

Richard

I have a tank of EAN40 in the backyard. It is important to note on the tank both the mix and the maximum operating depth. In this case, 83 feet. It wouldn't do to confuse this with one of the other identical tanks that has air and then try to dive to 130 feet.

Nitrox brings risks. It has rewards but it isn't a cute and cuddly thing.

Richard

The big nitrox label should have absolutely no meaning whatsoever to a fill station.

Anyone can put a Nitrox label (the big green and yellow tank wraps) on a tank. Shops that fill tanks using a partial pressure blending method (where pure O2 is introduced to the tank, then topped with air, to make the correct mixture) should ONLY check the VIP sticker to see if the tank is O2 Cleaned. O2 Cleaning is very easy for any shop doing a VIP. If they can't O2 clean your tank... find another shop. It's usually just simple green and oxygen safe (christo lube or tribolube) lubricant around the tank neck O-Ring.

As previously stated... If the dive shop banks their Nitrox, or uses pre-mix of any kind (for mixtures less than 40%), then the tank requires no special cleaning, since pure O2 is not being introduced into the tank.

To answer the OP's question directly... Any tank can be a nitrox tank. Yes. Your nitrox instructor SHOULD cover these topics thoroughly however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom