Nitrox 1.6 or 1.4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd wager that the complete lack of any documented oxtox hits in recreational diving is due to a combination of factors but I'd say a reasonable conclusion is that using 1.6 is not something to be concerned about.
Since I know people who exceed 1.6 on recreational dives on a regular basis I suspect you are right.

28% on the Forest City in Tobermory only gets you hovering above the stern rail....
i dont do 150 foot dives. :) but i was lucky enough to dive the niagara a couple of times along with a couple other sites there. that was a fun little trip.

As I got older and after hearing reports of divers toxing at less than 1.4, I kept my PO2 at 1.3. No matter the dive. Recreational or technical.
Each person's tolerance to O2 exposure is different based on the accounts that I've heard of those who did tox and those who came close and realized what was happening.
If I knew someone set their computer to 1.6 and did a dive where they toxed and I was present, at this point, I'd not bother to get involved in helping.
As I get older I have less tolerance for those who want to push the limits. There's no need for it. And I feel zero obligation to save them from themselves.

As I got older and after hearing reports of divers toxing at less than 1.4, I kept my PO2 at 1.3. No matter the dive. Recreational or technical.
I've read lots of articles and seen lots of report and have never seen a single one where a recreational diver was confirmed to get an oxtox hit when diving a single tank within recreational limits with Nitrox at or below 40% with their computer set for 1.6. In other words there is absolutely no proven increased risk of doing so.

That's right. Not a single proven case. Which is a relief because if it "did" happen, there could possibly be other divers nearby who could assist the unfortunate diver but they might have the same attitude as @Jim Lapenta, and somehow instantaneously determine the convulsing diver was at fault for setting their computer to 1.6 and refuse to help.

Hi, if you want to be safe and keep dive insurance valid : 1,4 for bottom gas

Hi, if you want to be safe and keep dive insurance valid : 1,4 for bottom gas

Please provide a reputable link that supports your claim that dive insurance is invalid if a recreational diver sets their computer for 1.6.

Please provide a reputable link that supports your claim that dive insurance is invalid if a recreational diver sets their computer for 1.6.
It depends on the insurance.

I was just saying that dive insurances are all valid for a bottom gas PPO2 of 1,4 max. Obviously you are free to set alarms the way you want or disable them

So in other words, there is no proof whatsoever to support the claim that dive insurance is invalid if a diver chooses to set their computer to anything higher than 1.4.

It's just something that somebody felt like saying because they liked the way the words looked on the screen.

Got it.

Back
Top Bottom