Nitrox 1.6 or 1.4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So in other words, there is no proof whatsoever to support the claim that dive insurance is invalid if a diver chooses to set their computer to anything higher than 1.4.

It's just something that somebody felt like saying because they liked the way the words looked on the screen.

Got it.
However, some dive insurance is invalid if you exceed your qualified/certified depth. Suppose you are trained on Nitrox to 1.4 as a MOD, with 1.6 as a contingency depth. At what point does your insurance company get testy?

However, some dive insurance is invalid if you exceed your qualified/certified depth. Suppose you are trained on Nitrox to 1.4 as a MOD, with 1.6 as a contingency depth. At what point does your insurance company get testy?

Sure, exceeding certified depth is a big no-no and I could see life insurance/dive insurance using it as a possible way out. But that has nothing to do with a computer set for 1.6 vs 1.4. And even if there was any truth to what is nothing more than a theory about dive insurance being invalidated by a 1.6 computer setting, the dive accident would have to be directly related to the setting of 1.6 vs 1.4 and again, there is not a single verified source of an oxtox hit in a single tank recreational diver with a tank full of EAN 40% or less diving - and adding as per above- within the depth limits of their certification- so it's a non issue for all practical purposes.

So in other words, there is no proof whatsoever to support the claim that dive insurance is invalid if a diver chooses to set their computer to anything higher than 1.4.

It's just something that somebody felt like saying because they liked the way the words looked on the screen.

Got it
Ok as long as you actually dive within 1,4 bars

Sure, exceeding certified depth is a big no-no and I could see life insurance/dive insurance using it as a possible way out. But that has nothing to do with a computer set for 1.6 vs 1.4. And even if there was any truth to what is nothing more than a theory about dive insurance being invalidated by a 1.6 computer setting, the dive accident would have to be directly related to the setting of 1.6 vs 1.4 and again, there is not a single verified source of an oxtox hit in a single tank recreational diver with a tank full of EAN 40% or less diving - and adding as per above- within the depth limits of their certification- so it's a non issue for all practical purposes.
You keep talking about setting the computer to 1.6; that was NOT mentioned except by you. My point is that diving below your MOD (and thus not within your training qualification) could invalidate your dive insurance, regardless of what your computer is set for. Oxtox is not the only kind of dive accident....so thinking of that as the only possible negative consequence is a bit narrow.

Perhaps you have never argued with an insurance company?

You keep talking about setting the computer to 1.6; that was NOT mentioned except by you. My point is that diving below your MOD (and thus not within your training qualification) could invalidate your dive insurance, regardless of what your computer is set for. Oxtox is not the only kind of dive accident....so thinking of that as the only possible negative consequence is a bit narrow.

Perhaps you have never argued with an insurance company?
Agree, gas density concerns come first for depth limitations

You keep talking about setting the computer to 1.6; that was NOT mentioned except by you.
The other poster made the statement that dive insurance may be invalidated if a computer is set to something higher than 1.4.

1.6 falls into that range.

I have never argued with an insurance company. Not understanding why that's relevant either.

The other poster made the statement that dive insurance may be invalidated if a computer is set to something higher than 1.4.
??
Hi, if you want to be safe and keep dive insurance valid : 1,4 for bottom gas
This is what he said. Perhaps you are reading too much into his statement.

I have never argued with an insurance company. Not understanding why that's relevant either.
You were asserting how you thought an insurance company would behave:
the dive accident would have to be directly related to the setting of 1.6 vs 1.4
The insurance company mostly like would not look at it as simply as you do.

1.6 falls into that range.

When I set my clock alarm to go to work at 8am, I usually do not wake up at 6am ...
For this reason I always set my PP02 to 1,4 (bottom gas) and 1,6 (deco). The only exception would be if I had to do my deco with pure 02 : to avoid my computer changing colour to red at 6m, I would set my deco PP02 on 1,61 and my dive insurance would be OK with that. Anyway here in Indonesia pure 02 is never 100% so I never face this problem

When I set my clock alarm to go to work at 8am, I usually do not wake up at 6am ...
For this reason I always set my PP02 to 1,4 (bottom gas) and 1,6 (deco). The only exception would be if I had to do my deco with pure 02 : to avoid my computer changing colour to red at 6m, I would set my deco PP02 on 1,61 and my dive insurance would be OK with that. Anyway here in Indonesia pure 02 is never 100% so I never face this problem
Pretty standard approach, and in line with the usual training and certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom