Suunto Tank Pod - Switching between Air and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDawgFunk

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some input.
I use an Eon Core with a Suunto Tank Pod transmitter (happy with this device/combo as I rec dive only) and I am planning on doing a nitrox dive as part of an AOW course (I find more ops/trips are requiring AOW for guided deeper dives or certain conditions, their op their prerogative, i get the limiting liability aspect but experience allowing, I don't want to be restricted to only certain dives while on vacation etc etc).

I've never used Nitrox with my Suunto Tank pod, it was manufactured after 2021 and has the EN250/Nitrox stamp markings on the pod, so it can be used with Nitrox, but.... the manual does state "If you use your Suunto Tank POD for nitrox diving, use it exclusively with nitrogen and oxygen, and no longer with air. Always keep your device clean for oxygen use".

I'd rather use ai for all my dives, and don't have my heart set on a nitrox dive or anything, given that, I was thinking of switching the nitrox dive to another elective and then grabbing a second pod next year exclusively for nitrox and doing the full Nitrox course then, but figured I'd see if anyone in this community has direct experience with this situation.

Assuming the nitrox mix is 32% O2 or under, has anyone here used a Tank Pod with air one day, then nitrox another day and then air another day?

From what I can tell the risk here is contaminants from previous air fills entering the tank pod, or the use of lubes that are more combustable, although the last part seems to be taken care of by the EN250 certification markings.

Thanks!

While it may be best practice to have a tank pod/transmitter for use with nitrox and one for air, it is typically not economically practical. In reality, you should not have any issues using your tank pod with standard nitrox mixes up to 40% O2. 32% and 36% are more common mixes at most dive centers unless you specifically ask for something different such as a "best mix" that you calculate based on the depth you plan to hit, but unless you have an advanced nitrox/mixed gas certification it is highly unlikely you will use anything over 40%.

There is no higher risk with a transmitter/tank pod than there is with an SPG, and most of the divers I have come across will dive their same reg set with SPG with air and nitrox. What is more important is if the tank is O2 clean depending on how the nitrox is made....it is of ultimate importance to have a tank that is O2 clean if the shop is partial pressure blending, but less important if they are using a membrane system to separate out the N2 to make the mix.

Bottom line...unless you are doing accelerated decompression, or technical diving where high concentrations of O2 (>40%) will be used, you should be fine using the same transmitter along with the same reg set that you use for air with recreational diving mixes of nitrox (22%-40% O2).

-Z

Thanks Zef, assuming under 40% O2, I had not thought about this: "There is no higher risk with a transmitter/tank pod than there is with an SPG..."

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom