Nitrox Tank Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they can't O2 clean your tank... find another shop. It's usually just simple green and oxygen safe (christo lube or tribolube) lubricant around the tank neck O-Ring.

And the valve internals...

Richard

Would you deem it good advice to have the tank O2 cleaned so he can have his tank filled either way?

not really....

If you fill an o2 clean tank from an air source that is not o2 clean, then you could contaminate the tank. If it was bad enough that you got a lot of hydrocarbon's (like compressor oil) in it, and then the next time you partial pressure filled the tank and the fill operator put pure o2 in under pressure, it could put him in danger.

petroleum products under pressure are more volatile because it changes their flashpoint (under pressure).

I live within 6 miles of six dive shops. 3 use the partial pressure method and 3 use banked EAN. I am sure the shops using the partial pressure method would appreciate.

Now.... sometimes shops that offer "banked nitrox" also o2 clean their air in their banks. So in that case, you'd be ok to use o2 clean banked EAN in an o2 clean tank.

Don't feel bad to see a LDS's air test results. often they are not posted.

for O2 clean air, I believe you want grade E+. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

not really....

If you fill an o2 clean tank from an air source that is not o2 clean, then you could contaminate the tank. If it was bad enough that you got a lot of hydrocarbon's (like compressor oil) in it, and then the next time you partial pressure filled the tank and the fill operator put pure o2 in under pressure, it could put him in danger.

petroleum products under pressure are more volatile because it changes their flashpoint (under pressure).

Now.... sometimes shops that offer "banked nitrox" also o2 clean their air in their banks. So in that case, you'd be ok to use o2 clean banked EAN in an o2 clean tank.

Don't feel bad to see a LDS's air test results. often they are not posted.

for O2 clean air, I believe you want grade E+. (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

You gave good informtaion but anyone utlizing tanks for nitrox should have them cleaned to prepare the tank for partial pressure filling. If it's a new tank it already is..

but anyone utlizing tanks for nitrox should have them cleaned to prepare the tank for partial pressure filling.

Why? What if you have a shop that banks 32, 36, and 40? Then you can make any mixture in between by topping with air, and never have to introduce 100% O2?

Why do something you won't need?

My LDS uses a PP mixing rig, so I just rent the tanks when I dive nitrox. I don't do enough nitrox dives to warrant buying a few tanks, having them O2 cleaned, and using them only for a couple dives a month.

You gave good informtaion but anyone utlizing tanks for nitrox should have them cleaned to prepare the tank for partial pressure filling. If it's a new tank it already is..

you must not have read the above about how new tanks very often come from the factory dirty, with dust, dirt, powder in them, grime/oil in the threads.

just because a manufacturer says a tank is clean doesn't mean that it is. I've bought more new tanks that were dirty than were clean. don't trust them. Not with your life or with the fill operator who pumps pure 100% O2 in them.

Why? What if you have a shop that banks 32, 36, and 40? Then you can make any mixture in between by topping with air, and never have to introduce 100% O2?

I've got to agree with Howard..... why do something you don't need. (depending on where you live).

If I lived in south Florida where banked EAN is the norm, then I wouldn't o2 clean my tanks either.

Thanks for all the info. I assume ill learn everything i need about this in my class too. I just wondered if i was gona have to buy new tanks. So it looks like i wont. Thanks again.

That's assuming your shop of choice uses the banked method. In Palm Beach County the shops dispensing the best fills all use PP. It is my experience that shops using banked nitrox do not acheive the target mix with any regularity. Wish Fill Express was closer!

Last edited:
"just because a manufacturer says a tank is clean doesn't mean that it is. I've bought more new tanks that were dirty than were clean. don't trust them. Not with your life or with the fill operator who pumps pure 100% O2 in them". Mike S.

Based upon your experinece the OP should have his tanks cleaned anyway. Chances are he still has the original dust, dirt, powder and grime/oil in the threads that arrived in and on his new tanks...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom