Night Dive, Boynton (Loggerhead) 10/01/04?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we had 12 signed up, i think most booked already, this boat can hold 16 from what i recall on the few trips out with them and just read on the website (and that didnt seem packed when we have had that many on board). I shouldnt imagine a problem booking up "late". Of course i dont know if we are all going depending on weather, viz etc, but should know in a couple of days (final call on thursday i guess).

KBeck:
You know, I never did call to reserve that spot; if it seems the weather does allow for some calming and we do wind up going out, what is the drop date that I'd need to call to get on? (Assuming there was space to begin with.....)

As long as there is a spot left you could even just walk on if you wanted to. I'm gonna try to jump down to the reef tomorree and peep it out. The forecast favors the dive for the time being. Did you get juice back yet?

The inshore weather forecast is calling for the winds to back around to E in the next couple of days and waves to be up to 3-4ft up until friday. Is this really going to help settle the viz down this week?? I look forward to your report Kev in a day or two, will try to make this happen if its reasonable conditions.

Just remember Simon, that is worst case scenerio! (I really need to dive, I am justifying 3-4 ft waves!)

Heh.. 3-4' waves will have me sick. I'll admit it, my stomach doesn't do that well when I'm not in command of the boat.

simbrooks:
The inshore weather forecast is calling for the winds to back around to E in the next couple of days and waves to be up to 3-4ft up until friday. Is this really going to help settle the viz down this week?? I look forward to your report Kev in a day or two, will try to make this happen if its reasonable conditions.

One of the powerfully marvelous things about diving Boynton is the depth of the reef, and our proximity to the Gulfstream. Both of these are big factors in the vis... the depth insulates against surface waves and the Gulfstream blasts new, clear water in every once in a while. Hopefully I'll be able to jump in every day this week.

Okay... I just got back from the reef. I'm also posting this in the Boynton Dive Report, so don't feel slighted if yoyu happen to read both. Anyway, here's the poop:

Seas were less than 2'. Viz was 15-20'. Water temp 82 degrees. I just got out of the water, and I am of the opinion that vis will be back close to normal within the next few days. It has improved from 5' yesterday to 15-20 today. The problem seems to be almost entirely the extremely fine particles caused by sand movement. Generally this type of stuff clears up pretty quickly. There was also a strong North current which should help to expedite the proccess. Lots of Grouper, pretty biggun's. Also some big nurse sharks. No turtles though... that's kind of an oddity.
There was some loss of a variety of soft corals and sponges, but not major. All in all I think the reef did okay.
I'll report again tomorrow as well.

Kev - sounds like it is clearing up out in the stream. Has anyone gone out shore diving or planning on doing so before tomorrow night so we can get an idea of IF a weekend of diving can be done down on the SE coast? That will be the deciding vote if there is beach diving viz to get some dives in on saturday as well.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom