New iPhone App - iScubaPlan - [pics] + [video]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter,
The next update of iScubaPlan will have show gas consumption. I plan on publishing the update in the net 7-14 days. It is free for all iScubaPlan users.

b.

I'm a little confused, doesn't gas consumption depend on each diver's SAC?

Any chance that you can add a setting for Table Rounding?

For example:

PADI RDP (Tables) rounds to 10ft depth.
PADI eRDPml (toy computer) rounds to 5ft depths.
My Dive Computer doesn't round.

Could we set the Depth Rounding one of these?

Excellent app, and cannot wait for the update for gas consumption. My question has nothing to do with the app and everything to do with the "business end".
How did you arrive at the pricing for the app? this is interesting to me, as the iDeco is a donation based app. My major intrest is whether liability cost entered into the decisionmaking process

Once again, thank you for an excellent app

Mark Newman

$8.00? Please Way too expensive for an App!!

I'd have paid quite a bit more than that for it. I hate Iphones so I bought an Ipod Touch just to run IScubaplan and IDeco. That was about 300 bucks. So I guess I paid around $325 for it all together and I'm happy as a clam. If $8 is too much (that's not even a nitrox fill) I suggest you write a comparable program and market it for less.

I'm just glad people like Brock, who are smarter than I, are willing to spend the time and effort to come up with apps like this for the rest of us.

Excellent app, and cannot wait for the update for gas consumption. My question has nothing to do with the app and everything to do with the "business end".
How did you arrive at the pricing for the app? this is interesting to me, as the iDeco is a donation based app. My major intrest is whether liability cost entered into the decisionmaking process

Once again, thank you for an excellent app

Mark Newman
Mark,
Reasonable question - You are correct - The pricing is based on a couple of factors.

1) The development costs for iScuba Plan and iScuba Plan Lite were ~$25k (my development time (~150h) + testing + advertising costs)

2) I have the added expense of product liability insurance for my company (not just Professional E&O).

3) Apple gets 30%

So - Just to recoup my development expenses, and before it ever turns a profit, I'd need to sell at least 4,465 copies (I've currently sold ~200).

iDeco is different - I have **well** over twice as much time in it. I originally wrote it as a way to give back to the community, and the merchantability of a free app is hard to beat for liability.

iDeco will remain free, however, iDeco Pro is coming very soon. It will be a pay app. Since I've gone to the trouble of protecting my company via product liability, it only made sense to extend the product line.

$8.00? Please Way too expensive for an App!!

Might I suggest you try the Lite version? It's free.

It's not like any other dive app on the AppStore - Period. Nothing comes close.

And, if you do any kind of technical diving, get iDeco - It's free too! Handles OC, CCR, cave, wreck, gas planning, bailout planning, gas mixing, and many, many other aspects of technical diving. As a matter of fact, some people have bought iScuba Plan just to support my efforts with iDeco.

Expensive? Maybe to some.

b.

Any chance that you can add a setting for Table Rounding?

For example:

PADI RDP (Tables) rounds to 10ft depth.
PADI eRDPml (toy computer) rounds to 5ft depths.
My Dive Computer doesn't round.

Could we set the Depth Rounding one of these?

kyphur,
I've been thinking about doing this. The main drawback that I keep hitting is that the majority of people using it want to be able to check it against the tables (training aid). Of course, this wouldn't stop me from adding a setting to do it, I just don't want to confuse anyone.

b.

kyphur,
I've been thinking about doing this. The main drawback that I keep hitting is that the majority of people using it want to be able to check it against the tables (training aid). Of course, this wouldn't stop me from adding a setting to do it, I just don't want to confuse anyone.

b.

I think it would make the product much better, PADI is in the process of switching from tables to the eRDPml (my daughter got that plastic toy for her cert) and if I understand SDI teaches no tables but instead requires you to use a Dive Computer.

Back
Top Bottom