New Heart Rate Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I saw your report when you first posted it. If I remember correctly the computer displayed some SOS message and I disabled the coupling of the algorithm to the HR in my G2. Prior to the new HR monitor I was using my G2 without the strap as I was tired of struggling with it. Hopefully the new strap solves the problems.
So, you use the HR monitor to control your decompression algorithm?

I think I saw your report when you first posted it. If I remember correctly the computer displayed some SOS message and I disabled the coupling of the algorithm to the HR in my G2. Prior to the new HR monitor I was using my G2 without the strap as I was tired of struggling with it. Hopefully the new strap solves the problems.
I understand that you may want to check your HR underwater. That’s fine. Letting SP modify the already modified algorithm based on voodoo science IMO is not.

I understand that you may want to check your HR underwater. That’s fine. Letting SP modify the already modified algorithm based on voodoo science IMO is not.
I think calling it voodoo science is overstating your point. There is some evidence and discussion about the effects of increased workload and hypothermia at the end of the dive on decompression. Here's one DAN discussion:

There are others. The hypothermia and high workload will only make the algorithm more conservative and decrease the no deco times, and you can control the degree of effect.

Does the voodoo algorithm also include the myriad other contributing factors in their calculations? Effectiveness of lungs, individual fitness, individual cardio-vascular efficiency, monitoring exhaled CO2, etc., etc....

No.

It is voodoo because it is not based on open peer reviewed evidence-based science.

It's just a voodoo marketing gimmick that is no better than any other algorithm; it is worse as it implies that it is better yet there is no evidence.

If I want to know my heart rate on a dive I have a couple of nice veins in my wrist I touch and count. But I go diving to relax and my heart rate slows to less than 60bpm, and my breathing slows as well. I've never considered if my heart rate would affect my decompression as I tend to move slowly or let the currents carry me around. Not sure if makes any difference when I choose some dives to spend the first half of the dive heading into a current and then returning with the current. Diving should not be a sport where one is getting heart rates of 160 bpm.

I think calling it voodoo science is overstating your point. There is some evidence and discussion about the effects of increased workload and hypothermia at the end of the dive on decompression. Here's one DAN discussion:

There are others. The hypothermia and high workload will only make the algorithm more conservative and decrease the no deco times, and you can control the degree of effect.

It's voodoo science.
While there may be a correlation between workload and decompression stress, they have not done enough studies to actually quantify it to make changes to a decompression algorithm. Sure it's pretty logical to say that under high workload when you have more blood flow and muscle activity that are causing faster exchanges of gas and an increased temperature in that area that gas exchange will be more rapid. Note that I said gas exchange though because it works both ways and we are encouraged when on deco to stay moving to keep blood moving instead of sitting still.
The thermal issue has been proven in research studies but not enough to quantify a change to the algorithm. They showed that warm generally means faster gas exchange cold generally means slower gas exchange but skin temperature is a very small part of it, especially when you combine it with the workload that can be generating heat in other areas of the body but not necessarily on your sternum.

Show me a peer reviewed analysis and I'll go buy one today, but if they don't publish, it's snakeoil.

I just want to update with my experience with the new digital HR strap. The first 4 dives I was getting readings with a few cutouts-- short periods of 0 readings. I recalled my experience with Polar strap for my watch which showed the same behavior when the battery was low, so I changed the battery on the Scubapro strap, and so far I've had reliable readings. I still don't use the option to couple the HR to the algorithm, but I can see and review my heart rate through the dive.

I think it's a useful bit of information as cardiac ischemia is often associated with rapid heart rates. If you're an older diver I think it's really useful.

I still don't use the option to couple the HR to the algorithm

Why not use the option just to see what changes it makes in the NDL's? Play with it and see what effect it has, it can't hurt since it will only make your NDL's more conservative.

Why not use the option just to see what changes it makes in the NDL's? Play with it and see what effect it has, it can't hurt since it will only make your NDL's more conservative.
I may try that once I'm more confident the HR is dependable, at a low level of coupling. I still remember the bad experience we've had with the old monitor when the diver had the G2 go into SOS mode because of artifact and when I found my NDL changing because of artifact from the old monitor.

I may try that once I'm more confident the HR is dependable, at a low level of coupling. I still remember the bad experience we've had with the old monitor when the diver had the G2 go into SOS mode because of artifact and when I found my NDL changing because of artifact from the old monitor.
Can't wait to read reports from you. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom