New Heart Rate Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IF Scubapro did actual testing to prove this, there is no gain in keeping it secret. If it was proven, then they would have received a patent for it which when issued which would protect them from competition while still allowing third party review which is standard practice in the industry. The fact that there is no mention of any studies done to prove their hypothesis only goes to show that it truly is just a hypothesis and not even a theory.

I will have to go read the full DAN Flying After Diving study and maybe @Duke Dive Medicine can confirm but I do know that we had heart rate monitors on us when we were in the chamber riding the underwater bikes with varying degrees of effort including just sitting with no activity. They were tracking our HR and breathing rates over thousands of dives and I do not recall any significance in DCS based on breathing rate or heart rate. If Scubapro had done any similar type studies then they certainly would have published it and more importantly, someone in the community would have heard about it.
That isn't entirely true or accurate. Patents don't always protect your secrete designs. You protect them better by secrecy and not letting anyone know anything about the inside of your designs. I know this for certain in my business AND actual experience.

The academics and armchair experts always want to put their noses where they don't belong just for fun and to satisfy their curiosities and argue to world's end that they have the right to see the deep secretes else they are never satisfied.

Do you know of a single dive accident or lawsuit due to the algorithms and special features of the SP design?

That isn't entirely true or accurate. Patents don't always protect your secrete designs. You protect them better by secrecy and not letting anyone know anything about the inside of your designs. I know this for certain in my business AND actual experience.

The academics and armchair experts always want to put their noses where they don't belong just for fun and to satisfy their curiosities and argue to world's end that they have the right to see the deep secretes else they are never satisfied.

Do you know of a single dive accident or lawsuit due to the algorithms and special features of the SP design?
Asking someone to disprove a negative, is intellectually flaccid :gas:

Do you know of one that has been prevented due to the modifications of the SP design?
Anything like this needs to be peer reviewed for validity, it's required in academia and the medical field. Buhlmann protected his algorithm and licensed it, these modifications could be easily protected from implementation by other dive computer manufacturers. There is no validity in keeping this secret if they did actually do the studies. As I said above, IF they had been, which I am 100% confident they weren't, someone would know about it and I have never met or heard of anyone that can corroborate those studies.

Now, if we give your wild claims any validity and they wanted to keep it secret, which again goes against everything that any real medical researcher would ever do, they would have at least mentioned it in their literature. They may not have posted their methods or their specific findings but there would have been some verbiage about a study that had been done. I have never seen any mention about any testing done to verify these claims. If you have any evidence of the contrary, please post them as I would be glad to change my opinion and if there is any published benefit I would be more than happy to purchase one of their computers and start implementing that into my diving. Until that time, there is absolutely 0 validity to any of their claims and I will continue to advocate against using algorithms that are not backed by empirical data.

@tbone1004 makes excellent points above. It's great to see technology moving toward real-time tracking of physiologic parameters in order to optimize decompression. Good next steps would be conducting peer-reviewed research to support the utility of the device. Also would be concerned about task loading - if I'm paying close attention to my heart rate while under water, how much does that detract from monitoring my breathing gas pressure, CCR parameters, etc?

Best regards,
DDM

This brings up an interesting question. Has anyone worn a watch that monitors heart rate and pulse under a drysuit (Fitbit, Apple, Samsung, etc.)? It would be interesting to see how it tracks to the ScubaPro monitor.

IF these "wearables" work reliably, I wonder how long before that data will be integrated into PDCs via Bluetooth?

Note that Bluetooth signals work over short distances underwater and many PDCs are already Bluetooth enabled.

The G2 HR monitor measures the heart rate and skin temperature and can, optionally be set to modify the algorithm according to the workload and/or skin temp. I like to see my heart rate when I dive, both to monitor the level of stress and out of interest, just as I monitor my heart rate when I swim or bicycle for exercise.

The old system with the Galileo Sol worked flawlessly but the previous G2 heart rate strap has been hit and miss and the readings unstable. That's why I would like to know if the new version of this monitor works better.
Tosh. Sorry.

You shouldn't have any significant heart rate underwater -- it's relaxing. Decompression is an inexact science; just follow the standard algorithms which have this all factored in.

Just because your heart's beating doesn't mean you're cardiovascular system's actually working.

Over engineering meets marketeers searching for ways of gouging more money from punters.

Unfortunately I do.

I was using the HR monitor on a Galileo on a wreck dive in NJ. All going smoothly; pulse at 78BPM after 30 mins and then suddenly sped up to 240BPM. I felt OK but the computer locked up. Luckily I had a backup computer and finished the dive safely. The computer remained in lockup for 48hrs. That was the last time I used a SP computer especially one with secret algorithms.

Explaining that to the captain so that he would let me do another dive was a bitch too.

I just got the new digital HR monitor. It paired quickly and shows my heart rate on the surface. Tomorrow I'll try it out on a dive. I can see two improvements so far: 1. the strap itself is very made of elastic cloth and very flexible to maintain contact and 2. The transmitter is removable from the strap so it cannot stay on to deplete the battery.

Until I'm certain the readings are totally stable I'm not using it to affect the algorithm.

I just got the new digital HR monitor. It paired quickly and shows my heart rate on the surface. Tomorrow I'll try it out on a dive. I can see two improvements so far: 1. the strap itself is very made of elastic cloth and very flexible to maintain contact and 2. The transmitter is removable from the strap so it cannot stay on to deplete the battery.

Until I'm certain the readings are totally stable I'm not using it to affect the algorithm.
Even if it was stable, why would you let it affect the algorithm? I have a backup computer with the same algorithm as my main one. Not sure why I’d let a HR monitor change the algorithm.

Unfortunately I do.

I was using the HR monitor on a Galileo on a wreck dive in NJ. All going smoothly; pulse at 78BPM after 30 mins and then suddenly sped up to 240BPM. I felt OK but the computer locked up. Luckily I had a backup computer and finished the dive safely. The computer remained in lockup for 48hrs. That was the last time I used a SP computer especially one with secret algorithms.

Explaining that to the captain so that he would let me do another dive was a bitch too.
I think I saw your report when you first posted it. If I remember correctly the computer displayed some SOS message and I disabled the coupling of the algorithm to the HR in my G2. Prior to the new HR monitor I was using my G2 without the strap as I was tired of struggling with it. Hopefully the new strap solves the problems.

Back
Top Bottom