New Heart Rate Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you point to the study SP used to voodoo their algorithm and sell it to people as a feature?
The G2 HR monitor measures the heart rate and skin temperature and can, optionally be set to modify the algorithm according to the workload and/or skin temp. I like to see my heart rate when I dive, both to monitor the level of stress and out of interest, just as I monitor my heart rate when I swim or bicycle for exercise.

The old system with the Galileo Sol worked flawlessly but the previous G2 heart rate strap has been hit and miss and the readings unstable. That's why I would like to know if the new version of this monitor works better.

The G2 HR monitor measures the heart rate and skin temperature and can, optionally be set to modify the algorithm according to the workload and/or skin temp. I like to see my heart rate when I dive, both to monitor the level of stress and out of interest, just as I monitor my heart rate when I swim or bicycle for exercise.

The old system with the Galileo Sol worked flawlessly but the previous G2 heart rate strap has been hit and miss and the readings unstable. That's why I would like to know if the new version of this monitor works better.
I should have added a sarcasm note. Scubapro doesn’t have any basis for behaving how it does. I suspect you could looks towards Polar to show why the “new” band is an improvement (note how they, Garmin, etc, have moved away from hard straps). Monitoring it is fine, but it’s made-up as a means to influence decompression behaviour.

Scubapro doesn’t have any basis for behaving how it does. I suspect you could looks towards Polar to show why the “new” band is an improvement (note how they, Garmin, etc, have moved away from hard straps). Monitoring it is fine, but it’s made-up as a means to influence decompression behaviour.

Can you write what you wrote in simpler English for us, for the ones that aren't as smart as you are, can understand what you said please?

Can you write what you wrote in simpler English for us, for the ones that aren't as smart as you are, can understand what you said please?
What are you on about this time?

Scubapro blackbox algorithm modifications poo poo,
So they can sell you more doo doo?

Early era heart rate monitors (iirc the original one was made for Scubapro by Polar) had a hard plastic front and had difficulties when overly wet, or with significant body hair, or with different chest sizes. Over time years, most manufacturers have moved to a soft strap with a clip on monitor, a la the current Scubapro one.

It’s one thing to be curious about heart rate while diving, it’s another to pretend there’s any science behind using it to modify a decompression algorithm.

Scubapro blackbox algorithm modifications poo poo

What do you know about Scubapro's algorithm modifications? Seriously, I am trying to understand what you are saying and to believe you. Have you read anything from Scubapro that lead you to this belief or you are just guessing?

Early era heart rate monitors (iirc the original one was made for Scubapro by Polar) had a hard plastic front and had difficulties when overly wet, or with significant body hair, or with different chest sizes. Over time years, most manufacturers have moved to a soft strap with a clip on monitor, a la the current Scubapro one.

OK, now I understand what you were trying to say. Thank you.

It’s one thing to be curious about heart rate while diving, it’s another to pretend there’s any science behind using it to modify a decompression algorithm.
You are certain that the heart rate, etc. have no bearing on decompression at all?

You are certain that the heart rate, etc. have no bearing on decompression at all?
Certainly not. Am I fairly confident that Scubapro has no public, peer reviewed study about how their modifications to Buhlman impact DCS hit rate %? Yes.

Am I fairly confident that Scubapro has no public, peer reviewed study about how their modifications to Buhlman impact DCS hit rate %? Yes.

That doesn't mean, however, that they haven't done their own research that they choose to keep private and they have basis for their assertions that they didn't share with the public. Perhaps they view it as trade secrete. Their computer company is "Swiss" and they have "Swiss" mentality where everything is a "secrete" to them :)

Still, they give you the choice to use these features or not, they aren't forcing you to buy the belt or use the feature.

IF Scubapro did actual testing to prove this, there is no gain in keeping it secret. If it was proven, then they would have received a patent for it which when issued which would protect them from competition while still allowing third party review which is standard practice in the industry. The fact that there is no mention of any studies done to prove their hypothesis only goes to show that it truly is just a hypothesis and not even a theory.

I will have to go read the full DAN Flying After Diving study and maybe @Duke Dive Medicine can confirm but I do know that we had heart rate monitors on us when we were in the chamber riding the underwater bikes with varying degrees of effort including just sitting with no activity. They were tracking our HR and breathing rates over thousands of dives and I do not recall any significance in DCS based on breathing rate or heart rate. If Scubapro had done any similar type studies then they certainly would have published it and more importantly, someone in the community would have heard about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom