new diver in california, looking for backplate, wings, webbing, etc. ad nauseum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdemarest

New
Reaction score
Hello All, I'm relatively new to the forum, at least posting anything. I've been looking at equipment, and I'm thinking the first piece of equipment I'll buy is a backplate and wings with webbing. I'm wondering which to get, I suspect I'll be buying online to save $ so I need to know specifically which of each to buy so that it all fits and works right. I'm in california, and will be diving with a 5mm wetsuit. I weigh 165lbs and I'm 5'8". Any recommendations would be appreciated, unfortunately LDS isn't an option, the local shop here is pretty lame that sells Halcyon gear, they're way to lax for my taste. Looking forward to your replies.

-Kev

kdemarest once bubbled...
Hello All, I'm relatively new to the forum, at least posting anything. I've been looking at equipment, and I'm thinking the first piece of equipment I'll buy is a backplate and wings with webbing. I'm wondering which to get, I suspect I'll be buying online to save $ so I need to know specifically which of each to buy so that it all fits and works right. I'm in california, and will be diving with a 5mm wetsuit. I weigh 165lbs and I'm 5'8". Any recommendations would be appreciated, unfortunately LDS isn't an option, the local shop here is pretty lame that sells Halcyon gear, they're way to lax for my taste. Looking forward to your replies.

-Kev

What are you diving? Singles, duals? AL Steel??
Need some more info to go on.:)

Let's see singles initially, I will rent equipment (such as tanks) for a bit, I just want to start buying equip. slowly and I thought to start with backplate wings, seemed like the center point, and is the harder piece to rent.

Tanks can be either aluminum or steel. As far as weight, I suppose whatever is easiest. We might assume steel so that I won't need as much weight on my waist. When I rent, I'll just ask for steel tanks...unless you recommend something else of course :D

kdemarest once bubbled...

-Kev

I just purchased a Halcyon Pioneer SS BP and 36lb Wing combination and I'm thrilled! (Just got back from a DIR/F course this weekend so I even have a clue how to fit it!). I dove the ocean with a wetsuit and LP95 and it was a great.

For my money, Halcyon is far and away the way to go. If you're not happy with your local LDS call Extreme Exposure or Fifth Dimension. If price is an issue (Halcyon has a very strict pricing policy as well), there is a guy on ebay who sells their stuff regularly and I have friends who've bought very happily from him.

If you want more thoughts/suggestions feel free to pm me.

~<//><

from Halcyon and I am also really thrilled with it. Everything is very well constructed, sturdy and of good quality.

Thanks everybody for your replies, boomx5 I'm in Long Beach to answer your question.

I would buy from extreme exposure but I'm looking to save some $. I just figure, something as simplified as the BP and wing should be a lot cheaper than what halcyon retails their equipment for. I'm going to hold out to save some cash, but from everything I've read, and from my experience with recreational BC's, such as the Scubapro Knighthawk, I know there's a better answer, and I think that answer is the BP and wing.

At any rate, if I could get away with paying 300 for a bp and wing with harness I think I'd "dive" right in and get one, but > 500 seems a bit steep for me, especially considering how little I've gone diving since I got my cert.

Here's a question, is there any liability to getting a wing that has more lift than one without? Like, if my weight only requires a 36lb, would it hurt to get a 55lb? I'm just eyeing that ebay listing I posted earlier.

Thanks for all the replies you guys rock.

-Kevin

I would get a Fred T backplate with rigging (they will all work fine) and a Halcyon wing. The Halcyon pioneer wings are far and away the best for single tanks.

omar

kdemarest, no need to increase your drag by buying a larger wing. You'll expel four times more energy by "dragging" a larger profile underwater. If you are going to dive single tanks, I suggest you get a Pioneer Wing and depending how much weight you want to wear on your waist, get SS or Alum backplates. Look in Ebay and you'll find some Halcyon stuff on there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom