new diver in california, looking for backplate, wings, webbing, etc. ad nauseum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep repeating myself but rushing into buying diving gear is not a good idea. If your wing's lift is more than needed, you will loose one of the benefits of the BP/W. So what's the point?

If you don't dive often, keep renting until you can afford the gear that best fits your needs.

Halcyon probably makes the best wings, more streamlined and more resistant than anything else I have seen. This seems to be the general opinion here, too.

Because of Halcyon's pricing policy, you won't find any major discounts on their stuff if you buy new, even on the internet (plus you'll have to pay for shipping).

You may want to try Reef Seekers in Beverly Hills. You can also rent the BP from them to see if you like it.

kdemarest once bubbled...
Thanks everybody for your replies, boomx5 I'm in Long Beach to answer your question.

I would buy from extreme exposure but I'm looking to save some $. I just figure, something as simplified as the BP and wing should be a lot cheaper than what halcyon retails their equipment for. I'm going to hold out to save some cash, but from everything I've read, and from my experience with recreational BC's, such as the Scubapro Knighthawk, I know there's a better answer, and I think that answer is the BP and wing.

At any rate, if I could get away with paying 300 for a bp and wing with harness I think I'd "dive" right in and get one, but > 500 seems a bit steep for me, especially considering how little I've gone diving since I got my cert.

Here's a question, is there any liability to getting a wing that has more lift than one without? Like, if my weight only requires a 36lb, would it hurt to get a 55lb? I'm just eyeing that ebay listing I posted earlier.

Thanks for all the replies you guys rock.

-Kevin

Kevin,

The 55lb wing is WAY too large for a singles setup. This poses more than one problem.

It will wrap around your tank instead of flaring out as it is designed, and

Because of the above, you will have all kinds of problems dumping air from it

I know you're trying to save some money- like the rest of us- but buying too large of a wing will not solve your problem because you will wind up having to purchase a Pioneer wings anyway.

Take your time and get used to the singles with a 27 or 36 lbs wing (I like the 36 better), and use the practice time to save up some money for doing a doubles setup later on. The wing will be the cheapest part of the setup!

Dive safe,

Jack

Oh yea-by all mean buy an inexpensive BP that will fit this wing. A Halcyon BP is nice, but very expensive. As mentioned above, FredT makes a very nice product that is reasonably priced. Make sure you don't get the "billy ring" d-rings though. They are squared off and make clipping off to them a real PITA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom