Question Wanting to buy a new Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever you get make sure a knowledgeable person helps you get properly fitted, especially if it's a continous webbing harness. Too tight or too loose is not good. And make sure you get a crotch strap; it's the key to propper fit and ease of donning/doffing.
this makes things a lot easier, if you do it yourself with no help, you'll find yourself going back and doing a lot more adjustments than doing it with some help. I haven't had to make any adjustments to mine yet after getting help setting it up for the first time.

I would also look at the xDeep ZEOS as another high quality option (if you're not already overwhelmed with everything presented to you), it's in the same price range as the diverite and subgravity packages.

@Onetouchcomfort2021@gmail , if you're still looking, somebody just posted this for sale: For Sale - Like new SS Halcyon Backplate with Cinch and Harness $325. Buy a new wing, and you're set. I would not buy a used wing, but backplates last forever, and harnesses almost as long.

OP, I don't believe the above is a good deal at all.

First of all as @Still Kicking points out, a crotch strap is needed but isn't included. I would NOT get the cinch system as I've already explained in my previous post and lastly, the backplate/webbing is the easiest/cheapest purchase of the entire kit. Unless your plate absolutely has to have the "H" printed on it, you can buy new for less. Heck, you can get a NEW Halcyon BP of your choice (size/material) with webbing/hardware/crotch strap for <$340 shipped.

If you're going Halcyon, don't try and piece it together and buy parts, just buy this: Halcyon - Eclipse BC System

It's a classic, you can never go wrong with it. Choose the options you want and call it a day.

Alternatively, if you want to save money check out other brands. This site has several options laid out pretty well: BCs - Complete Tech Style Systems

Note that even with Halcyon there are tons of options depending on your needs. Good luck! :)

I paid 500 for my halycon including wing single tank adapter etc. Complete set. But I haven't kept up with prices so shrug.

First of all as @Still Kicking points out, a crotch strap is needed but isn't included. I would NOT get the cinch system as I've already explained in my previous post and lastly, the backplate/webbing is the easiest/cheapest purchase of the entire kit. Unless your plate absolutely has to have the "H" printed on it, you can buy new for less. Heck, you can get a NEW Halcyon BP of your choice (size/material) with webbing/hardware/crotch strap for <$340 shipped.

If you're going Halcyon, don't try and piece it together and buy parts, just buy this: Halcyon - Eclipse BC System

It's a classic, you can never go wrong with it. Choose the options you want and call it a day.

Alternatively, if you want to save money check out other brands. This site has several options laid out pretty well: BCs - Complete Tech Style Systems

Note that even with Halcyon there are tons of options depending on your needs. Good luck! :)
I admit I didn't read the posting carefully before pointing it out to @Onetouchcomfort2021@gmail . I completely agree with you. It's still a nice plate, though.

I have the Halcyon Infinity SS BP/W and I love it! The Cinch system makes getting into the BP/W on the boat and removing my BP/W & tank in the water so much easier! I also installed the Halcyon 6 Lbs Convertible Weighted STA, so I do not need extra weights. I place the Infinity SS BP/W in a checked bag when I travel. Never had any issues.

Wow, the second link is really great. They don't carry Subgravity, but they have a great selection of strong brands. That orange OMS hybrid thing for $500 is a deal for those who aren't into full DIR and don't mind looking like a Caltrans worker. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom