Question Wanting to buy a new Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just don't want to have to keep buying over and over would like a good warranty and to know its reliability is never at question! Thank you for your time and advice as well
All the BPW's from reputable sources are close to equally reliable. All have a good warranty for manufacturing defect, and if it arrives good, it will be good for a very long time. The main differences you may be paying more for are: brand name, beautification, cool doddads that may or may not be worth it, etc.

And the great thing about a BPW is that it can be incrementally upgraded to whatever you want.

To answer your question, I went used, almost all from this forum. Take your time, look close and ask questions.

Never owned Halcyon but they sure do look nice! Just don't think the looks justify the price. Plates are plates and any reputable wing should be comparable.

A standard plate should work fine for your size, I like the bent bottom corners but thay are not a deal breaker. Get a wing with the built in stabilizers, prefer that over an STA.

If you can't wait I would go new with DGX in a heartbeat, they are also a great shop for any mods you want to add to your rig.
Definitely taking my time . Doing my research and appreciate yous and everyone's help along the way I have 2 bcds that I bought when we started diving that I'm going to try and sale. We was Definitely pushed and over sold for something that turns out that was not really comfortable or fitting for us . So after about 30 dives in the last month in a half we have seen many people with a variation of setups and both have tried bpw and turns out they are way more fitting for our style of diving as well take up half the room of a bulky jacket.

DGX sells harness/plate/wing setups by OMS, Dive Rite, Mares etc so you can compare prices. All are high quality. I would urge you to compare the cost of doing it "a la carte" so to speak. I have put together a few bp/w piecemeal and saved a few bucks, + you can get whatever components you want w/o having to buy a "package" that may or may not meet all your needs.

DGX sells harness/plate/wing setups by OMS, Dive Rite, Mares etc so you can compare prices. All are high quality. I would urge you to compare the cost of doing it "a la carte" so to speak. I have put together a few bp/w piecemeal and saved a few bucks, + you can get whatever components you want.
Thank you ! I have been looking at building one myself rater then a package deal as well . Oh how the mail lady and Amazon delivers love us 😆

You can get the plate & harness just about anywhere. I have a DGX & DSS (no longer in business). The DGX is a great plate at a good price. Also decide on a deluxe or one piece hogarthian harness. I prefer a one piece harness. YMMV.

I put my money in the wing. Decide if you want to use an STA or want to go direct attachment. That’ll determine your wing options. I prefer using an STA, others are the exact opposite. You will need to decide for yourself. I own a Halcyon Eclipse & Light Monkey singles wing. Both are great wings but the Light Monkey is my ‘go to’ wing.

ok. Unless you are all legs, a standard plate would most likely be a good fit.
As for the wing, are you looking at double tanks or a recreational single tank setup?

ok. Unless you are all legs, a standard plate would most likely be a good fit.
As for the wing, are you looking at double tanks or a recreational single tank setup?
Single tank most of the time I dive a lp108 but of course on boat trips just the standard Al80

Sub Gravity Paragon single tank system. High quality gear without the H tax. You get a choice of 3 stainless steel and 3 aluminum backplates, 5 wing lift capacities, 2 harness types, and 3 weight pocket styles. Their wings don't require a STA. I have their 3 mm aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness.

Whatever you get make sure a knowledgeable person helps you get properly fitted, especially if it's a continous webbing harness. Too tight or too loose is not good. And make sure you get a crotch strap; it's the key to propper fit and ease of donning/doffing.

Back
Top Bottom