Question Wanting to buy a new Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's incredible some of the brand name markups for a BP/W. If you're not looking for a "deluxe" harness setup, as some have mentioned, DGX seems to be the best one stop bang for your buck. And I think at least some of their kit is rebranded Dive Rite gear.

It's incredible some of the brand name markups for a BP/W. If you're not looking for a "deluxe" harness setup, as some have mentioned, DGX seems to be the best one stop bang for your buck. And I think at least some of their kit is rebranded Dive Rite gear.
I can’t speak to the plate, but the wing is OxyCheq. At least mine is.

Erik

How big are you?
Plates come is various sizes these days? Short plates for people less than 5'6" or with short torsos are really game changers when it comes to comfort.

I stock short and standard plates from subgravity if that is something you would be interested in.

How big are you?
Plates come is various sizes these days? Short plates for people less than 5'6" or with short torsos are really game changers when it comes to comfort.

I stock short and standard plates from subgravity if that is something you would be interested in.
I'm 5'7

I have a halycon, because I got it used.

With that said they replaced a 12 year old wing with no questions asked when it started fraying, the cause very well could have been operator error.

To answer your question, I went used, almost all from this forum. Take your time, look close and ask questions.

Never owned Halcyon but they sure do look nice! Just don't think the looks justify the price. Plates are plates and any reputable wing should be comparable.

A standard plate should work fine for your size, I like the bent bottom corners but thay are not a deal breaker. Get a wing with the built in stabilizers, prefer that over an STA.

If you can't wait I would go new with DGX in a heartbeat, they are also a great shop for any mods you want to add to your rig.

Other than theft, replacing a steel or aluminum plate is only necessary if you run over it with a truck. The harness is 12-15 bucks worth of webbing. And you can re-use all the hardware from it. I've had to replace one harness in 18 years when it began to wear more than I thought was acceptable for me. That one was nearly 10 years old and in some sketchy places. I changed it after using it for a rescue class where I allowed it to be cut up to get it off of me to demo the use of shears and EEZy-cut devices.
If the wing has a zipper you can replace the bladder for under $100.
I would not worry much about warranties with them. Other than pinch flats on urethane bladders, a freak bad seam from the factory or puncture from a sharp object is what will take down a wing.
On the seams, the mfg will handle the replacement.
Wings are not like BC's where you have a myriad of things that can go wrong and you have to replace the whole wing.
I've sold and set up over 100 BPW setups until I retired this year. Out of all of those I've handled one warranty claim for someone who bought a used wing from someone else of the brand I sold. It was a seam and it turned out the previous owner was a slob and never rinsed the old one. Mfg still gave a discount on a new bladder.
I am no longer selling gear but I can highly recommend buying from Tracy.
I've known him for probably close to 15 years and he won't oversell you or sell you something you don't need.
He is the only place I will buy and recommend people buy cylinders. Especially steels.

I just don't want to have to keep buying over and over would like a good warranty and to know its reliability is never at question! Thank you for your time and advice as well

Good thinking, but keep in mind you don't need to buy Halcyon to get good quality - though you do need to know what you want.

Starting with a backplate, there are multiple sizes, at 5'7" you'd probably want the standard size. Next, which material do you want it to be built out of? This can be influenced by a myriad of factors, including how well you naturally sink, the types of tanks you normally use, do you use it for travel and so on. I own a CF, aluminum and SS plate and use them all for different types of diving.

Lastly, which wing do you want? How much lift capacity do you need? Do you need redundant wings? Do you need a wing with lots of protection around it in case you're doing penetrations? Do you want a wing that dries fast or looks pretty? Are you diving singles or doubles? Etc.

Figure out which options are most important to you. If you go for Halcyon, don't go for their Infinity "Cinch" system unless you know you need it. It's an additional expense and it means it's harder to get good consistency in terms of tightness. You can't go wrong with Halcyon and they hold their value really well, but you also pay a lot more for the name. You can't go wrong either way, good luck! :)

I just don't want to have to keep buying over and over would like a good warranty and to know its reliability is never at question! Thank you for your time and advice as well
Buying over and over again generally doesn’t happen with BP/W. There are really only several reasons for changing things up - you start diving in different conditions and need a BP of a different material; and you get into tech diving and need a different wing meant for doubles or a rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom