New Diver need advice on mid range gear, (diving mostly in California ,Mexico, South east Asia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

omen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello new diver, looking into buying midrange gear, maybe used and just get them serviced at a local dive shop(for the regs) found a couple good deals online, need advice on what to choose.

background be diving mostly in california and traveling to warmer waters like mexico, and south east asia, have dive weekends planned to different parts of mexico for the rest of the year starting in march

!! bought used garmin mk2s for 300, seems to be working perfectly(logged my training dives and battery on non-dive mode lasted around 7days before my first charge) will take on a guided dive in feb in catalina , woot woot

1. fins(will buy second hand looking into travel fins, i saw an apeks rk3 for 100$ used which i'm thinking of getting unless someone here has any other fins that i should look into)
2. Masks,boots,hood,wetsuit, snorkel i will get at my local dive shop since i would have to fit them
3. Regulator i found an apeks xtx50 1st and 2nd stage for 350$, and a scubapro mk25 1st stage, s600 2nd stage for 500$ , not sure which one of this is better for california(cold water) and for my warmer travels **(need advice)**
4. BCD, i've done some research and it seems like backplate and wing is the way to go to future proof and grow into diving. aluminum for travel and donut shape wing for single tanks. not sure which brands are good but im leaning on
a. DGX custom for 350$ (first choice, not sure how good for travel but its the most affordable one)
b. Xdeep Ghost 700$ (willing to splurge a bit if you think its worth it)
c. open to other suggestions

If you are travelling I would suggest you stick with the SP regulators. Easily serviced anywhere in the world (where you would be diving). Very robust and will last for your whole diving career, that doesn't mean you won't get others, as we all are guilty of that. RK3 are good fins, I also recommend the SP Go Sports for travel and all around use. The DGX BP/W has been recommended many times on SB, I personally use a jacket style due to disabilities.

My best advice is to rent different styles to better understand what works best for you. All of us on SB will highly recommend what works for us, but only you can determine if it is the best for you. For most scuba equipment, one purchase will last a very long time, so it is important to buy once and cry once. This is why I advocate for rental or borrowed gear before buying. I am not associated with any LDS, just my experience.

Your ideas are all good. A couple of comments:

I haven't tried them, but most people like the RK3. I'd also consider the ScubaPro Go Sports. They are great all-rounders. And they aren't much more expensive... Yikes, I just checked the current price. They are up to $174 now. I got mine for $129 not that many years ago.

I wouldn't pay the extra for the Xdeep Ghost. FWIW, I started with an adjustable "comfort" harness on my backplate and am much happier since I switched to a standard webbing harness. The DGX with AL plate is just as travel friendly.

Any decent reg will work for the kind of diving you are interested in. FWIW, SoCal coastal isn't cold water, it's temperate. Cold water means mid-50s or less, depending on who you are talking too.

@omen
You won't have any issue to service Apeks regs in SE Asia.
My work horse of DS4 + TX is 26yrs old and still going strong. Look after it and may be even learn how to service them.
DGX BP/W is all you need and please keep it simple.
I dive a lot in SE Asia and my checked bag with full kit is never over 15kg. Just pack sensibly and there is no need to spend money on heavy/robust hard case!

If you don’t mind used, I bet you could put together a good reg set right here on SB with a WTB post in the classifieds. And you’d be dealing with some honest and very knowledgeable people.

1. fins(will buy second hand looking into travel fins, i saw an apeks rk3 for 100$ used which i'm thinking of getting unless someone here has any other fins that i should look into)

Any fin and boot that fits good and doesn't crush your foot when you fin.

I've never burnt more than 7 calories finning on any dive.

I might give up on fins and just use the hand scoop things.
2. Masks,boots,hood,wetsuit, snorkel i will get at my local dive shop since i would have to fit them

Same anything that fits good.

I keep one Oceanic ultradry snorkel in my fin bag and one Pirahna roll up silicone snorkel.
3. Regulator i found an apeks xtx50 1st and 2nd stage for 350$, and a scubapro mk25 1st stage, s600 2nd stage for 500$ , not sure which one of this is better for california(cold water) and for my warmer travels **(need advice)**
4. BCD, i've done some research and it seems like backplate and wing is the way to go to future proof and grow into diving. aluminum for travel and donut shape wing for single tanks. not sure which brands are good but im leaning on
a. DGX custom for 350$ (first choice, not sure how good for travel but its the most affordable one)
b. Xdeep Ghost 700$ (willing to splurge a bit if you think its worth it)
c. open to other suggestions
I built a Pirahna Bpw recently. It's in the Bcd forum. As good as my DGX Bpw. The Dgx wing, and similar are a good choice.

If you don’t mind used, I bet you could put together a good reg set right here on SB with a WTB post in the classifieds. And you’d be dealing with some honest and very knowledgeable people.
I really don't mind used. Do you have any particular reg set up that you recommend that I could look into?

Your ideas are all good. A couple of comments:

I haven't tried them, but most people like the RK3. I'd also consider the ScubaPro Go Sports. They are great all-rounders. And they aren't much more expensive... Yikes, I just checked the current price. They are up to $174 now. I got mine for $129 not that many years ago.

I wouldn't pay the extra for the Xdeep Ghost. FWIW, I started with an adjustable "comfort" harness on my backplate and am much happier since I switched to a standard webbing harness. The DGX with AL plate is just as travel friendly.

Any decent reg will work for the kind of diving you are interested in. FWIW, SoCal coastal isn't cold water, it's temperate. Cold water means mid-50s or less, depending on who you are talking too.

Awesome thanks for your input. I thought water temp in San Diego during winter was around mid 50s. Do you have any mid range regulators that you recommend that I could look into. Also leaning more into the dgx as well which I think I will get

I bought a MK10 along with a couple of converted BA 109 seconds that were rebuilt and tuned for me from members here. The G250 second is a little newer and seems to be well-loved. I was surprised to find how many still use vintage ScubaPro as their primary regs.

Go with you cheaper options as listed, I would say a stainless plate would serve better and I would look at other fins like the GoSport or supernovas.

are you flying or driving to the Mexican sites?

Back
Top Bottom