Helped needed on first gear purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5'3" is at the point where you will want to measure torso length to check if the small backplate works better. if so, you will want to contact Northeast scuba supply about the small pattern oxycheqs. you can still use the dgx wing and harness with it.

steel vs aluminum depends on ballast. steel is likely going to be ok, especially if you dive a full wetsuit due to running cold on dives, but aluminum or soft plate would probably be fine also even if you have to add a little weight back.

the cressi regs are basic and not balanced compared to the hog. if the sherwood is the older version, then it may not be balanced either.

the hog package is decent, but servicing in the maldives likely may not be the easiest.

i would either

A) if the sherwood is the newest version with the balanced 2nd, see if the friend will sell just the regs and maybe the amphos.

B) see if a shop is selling used rental regs inexpensively/look for a set of serviced regulators with recent service paperwork at a reasonably low price

then get a dgx bpw or small oxycheq plate/dgx wing as needed. then figure out whether the amphos is enough for you or if you want to pay more for a color screen in the atmos mission from piranha dive or shearwater peregrine.

Awesome, thanks so much for the info!! I'm looking at a bp/w set by Sopras Sub that includes an aluminum backplate and cordura wing with 30lb lift for $250. Do you think that would be a good purchase?
Is that new? Price seems suspiciously low as a basic bp/w package from DGX or Piranha costs around $350. What exactly is the wing?

A 30 pound wing is a compromise, fine for diving with a 7mm wetsuit and not that much larger than the 18 to 24 pound wing that is ideal for warm water. I'd want the smaller wing given where you are going, but it's hard to argue with the price you found. FWIW, I personally dive an 18# wing with a steel backplate in anything up to a 5mm suit.

Thank you all for the advice! Unfortunately from what I can tell there aren’t any servicing options close to where I’ll be in the Maldives. I think if something happens to my equipment I’ll have to just switch to rentals. :/

This is the BP/W I am looking at: bcd, dive rite, diverite, transpac, xt, softpac, soft pac, harness, soft, bcd, back inflate, voyager, pack, pac, voyagerpac, voyagerpack, scuba, dive, diving, tech, tec, tek, diver, dixie - BCDs - Scuba Diving Gear, Classes and Dive , snorkel Charters.

Do you think it’s worth it to spend the extra $100 to get the DGX BP/W setup? I’m nervous about the fact that this one doesn’t have any reviews, but it’s from a LDS I’ve been to before and really like.

It’s hard to argue with that price. I would personally probably spend a bit more on brands I recognize, but that doesn’t mean you won’t dive with that gear for years successfully. One thing you might want to price in is a Single Tank Adapter, as most people are more comfortable with one.

If I was buying regs this is the kit I would get, but it certainly isn’t the cheapest option on the market: DGX Gears XTRA Single Tank Reg Package | Dive Gear Express® I own six full sets of XTRA regs and haven’t had any issues.

For a recreational dive computer pretty much everyone here is gonna recommend the new Shearwater Peregrine, but none of us have dove it as it just came out. For what it’s worth I use Shearwater computers for technical and cave dives and find them to be the best available. Here’s the Peregrine: Peregrine Dive Computer

the dixie divers setup doesn't have roll control on the wing, so your tank can wobble a bit. same issue as the dive rites without a sta.

the dgx has a slimmer wing with roll control.

That's a very good price. Will they help you set it up and fit it? If so, I'd probably go for it.

As for servicing, there really isn't that much that can go wrong with the backplate and harness. After all, it's a metal plate, harness webbing and steel hardware. The wing appears to use standard parts, so you should be able to get service anywhere.

FWIW, I've been checking out bp/w options for my son who wants to get certified this winter and is about your height (for now). I'm probably going to go with Piranha's basic harness (I have the same and like it) and steel backplate and the hog 23 pound wing. Or the VDH 18# wing if they are back in stock when I actually order. It will cost about $100 more than your setup, but they are better quality wings and the size I want. Piranha will also set up the harness on the plate for free. I'll have to adjust it myself of course.

If you do go with Piranha, give them a call and they will talk you through the harness options.

More Options! & Now Black Hardware! Hogarthian Harness (Dir) for Backplates

23lb Hog Donut Shaped Wing ****All Black Wing Only!*** , Piranha Dive Shop |

Store | Vintage Double Hose

Thank you all for the recommendations! I ended up stopping by Dixie Divers this morning and they were fantastic. They webbed the harness and adjusted it perfectly to fit me, which I definitely would have struggled with on my own. I will give an update after I dive with it but the team assured me it was just like Dive Rite's quality. It feels very comfy. Can't wait to try it out!

Great. The only thing to keep in mind is to not overinflate it at the surface. Put in just enough air to get your head out of the water. If you want to add more and get up higher, you'll probably find it easiest to lay back and put your feet out in front of you.

Oh and most people primarily use the rear/bottom dump to let out air underwater.

Awesome, thanks so much!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom