Helped needed on first gear purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emk42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello! I’m new this community and looking for some gear recommendations :) A bit about me:
  • rescue certified with about ~70 dives, hoping to get my divemaster eventually
  • i’m from FL and will be working in the maldives for the next year (not at a dive shop, but I will be able to dive in my free time), so mostly dive tropical waters but do love to dive while traveling
  • 5’3, 125 lbs
  • looking to get bcd, reg, octo, pressure gauge, and dive computer for around $1,000
  • i’ve never tried backplate/wing but am interested in giving it a shot from what I’ve read!

These are the options that I’m looking at:

Cressi XS2/AC2 Regulator, XS Octopus Package and Mini Gauge ($289) + a BP/W package (looking at a ton of options from sopras sub, HOG, Dive Rite, or Mares, ranging from $400-$550) + either Cressi Leonardo or Mares Puck Pro computer ($180-200)

Complete HOG package with backplate/wing, regs/gauge console, and Mares Puck Pro Plus dive computer ($890)

Complete Aqua Lung package with Women’s Pearl Hybrid Jacket BCD, titan regulator, octo, and i300 C 2 gauge console dive computer ($999)

Complete Sherwood package with Silhouette bcd, brut reg, octo, gauge console, amphos wrist computer ($700) - this one is being sold from a friend in MI so i’d also have to pay for shipping.

My main questions are:

1) Should I go for a BP/W instead of the Aqua Lung Pearl or Silhouette BCD?

2) If I go for BP/W, does it matter what brand? Should I do stainless steel, aluminum or soft plate? How much lift do I need for warm water diving?

I would be so grateful for any recommendations/suggests!! :) This is a big investment so I don’t wanna screw it up!

A lot of what your asking is personal preference.

I would try a BP/W and see if you like it. If so get one if not go for the others.

A stainless plate with STA places more weight over your lungs so less on your belt. The unit itself weighs more.

Do you use steel tanks down there?

How much lead do you use with what your diving right now?

For example with my steel 100, stainless plate in fresh water I'm over weighted without any lead. I'm male 6 foot 2 and weigh about 180.

I have only tried one brand so I cannot comment on this brand vs that brand.

A lot of what your asking is personal preference.

I would try a BP/W and see if you like it. If so get one if not go for the others.

A stainless plate with STA places more weight over your lungs so less on your belt. The unit itself weighs more.

Do you use steel tanks down there?

How much lead do you use with what your diving right now?

For example with my steel 100, stainless plate in fresh water I'm over weighted without any lead. I'm male 6 foot 2 and weigh about 180.

I have only tried one brand so I cannot comment on this brand vs that brand.

I'm not sure if they use steel or aluminum tanks. Their website does not say, unfortunately. I use around 8 lbs myself, give or take depending on how thick my wetsuit is!

I would personally go for the BP/W because they are much more modular and in general better.

Brand wise you are spoiled for choice, try going for one available locally to you. I personally have a Halcyon infinity.

I would opt for the stainless steel back plate, they are usually around 4 ;bs and will allow you to remove some weights from the pockets.

Soft plates are a big no no for me, solid support is required.

I usually avoid the BCs with backplates, while traveling abroad -- airlines are not getting any cheaper about baggage -- especially any puddle-jumpers headed for the islands; and have opted for Zeagle products, since the early 1990s, for their wear; compactness; and easy repairability (everything replaceable and pinned together with grommets).

The model that I take along, is about 2.7 kilos; and fits within my carry-on, along with regulators; fins, etc.

Those myriad options that you have listed, are all quite reasonable; though I have always been leery of all-inclusive packages, since there always seems to be a weak link somewhere . . .

I'm not sure if they use steel or aluminum tanks. Their website does not say, unfortunately. I use around 8 lbs myself, give or take depending on how thick my wetsuit is!

My steel plate with STA takes 6 pounds off YMMV. I have a halycon eclipse. So if it's the same for you you would have to add two pounds.

If you are staying with warm water diving I would get the aluminum plate. 8 pounds isn't much.

I use a stainless plate because unless I'm in a pool doing drills I'm using a 7mm wetsuit or more likely a drysuit so the extra 6 pounds off is a big benifit to me.

Awesome, thanks so much for the info!! I'm looking at a bp/w set by Sopras Sub that includes an aluminum backplate and cordura wing with 30lb lift for $250. Do you think that would be a good purchase?

I dusted off my old BC a Zeagle Brigade yesterday and did a dive with it after using a BP/W for the last 2 years and it felt like I was driving a bus. Nothing wrong with it but a simple wing is so much slimmer. I have been very happy with an AL plate and a one piece harness. It is easier to get in and out of, you can put d-rings anywhere you want and attach pockets if desired. There is no need fro a fancy harness or plate in my opinion. A 20 lb wing works well for me even using steel 120's and I weigh 230. Look at what deals you can get at Deep6, probably get much better quality for your money. The Hog package you have listed would be a good choice too.

You should also look at the bulk of your rig in addition to weight.

Personally, I dive a Zeagle Tech Express. A bit lighter than my Ranger but it packs a lot flatter.

You might want to check and see if anyone is diving bpw in Maldives and any gear you get may need parts/service there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom