Backplate and wing for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever you do, don't let the LDS talk you into split fins. Those things are deadly, man.
Split fins aren’t as prominent as they once were. My LDS doesn’t even carry them anymore.
Scubapro Sea Wing Novas are big along with Go Sports, then AL Phazers (for now) and of course jet style fins and a few other paddle fins, but no splits.

I wish I had known about DGX before buying the Mares XR BP/W. Not that there are any issues with the Mares units but I would have saved a lot of money. Another huge benefit of BP/W is the reduced weight & volume. I am able to fit 2 entire setups, including fins, regs, etc, into a single large scuba suitcase and stay under the airline weight limit.

Everyone in the family now dives BP/W including my 12YO daughter.

After three decades of diving with vest type BCDs, I lost a bunch of weight and had my old BCD flopping around on my during my June trip to Nassau. When I get back, I bought a used BP/W that the LDS adjusted to my size then I purchased a smaller vest type BCD and on my upcoming pool dives next Friday will test both, but probably carry both with me to FL for a long weekend a week later.
I should have a good, thorough side-by-side comparison report after I get back. BTW, I’ll be carrying a hard weight belt to use with the BCD, and will probably use small hard weights in the trim weight pockets of the BP/W.
🐸

The danger with BP/W is the temptation to over-accessorize it. Get a BP/W combo from DGE as recommended by VikingDives: DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package
and save the add ons for later. After diving with a BP/W for eight years I have added only a couple of weight pockets for the waist strap and a line cutter. Cheap and simple is good.
PS: There's nothing wrong with split fins. It's just a tired joke.

If you are looking to educate yourself on backplates and wings. I have a series of 5 or 6 videos on my Youtube channel that may be helpful. You may have to search a bit as there are now 150 videos.

Hi OP,
As many others have mentioned, the combination of a backplate and wing is an excellent choice for all types of diving and typically has a long lifespan. While our website's equipment page delves deeper into the reason behind this, I would like to ask you about your diving goals. With this information, we will be better able to give you the best possible options moving forward.

Switch to bpw after discover scuba. Bcd was a floppy sloppy mess. 40" hose on a 90.

Switched to long hose in 5 more dives. For comfort, more flexible hose.

I wish I had adopted the BP/W-style rig from the beginning. After diving jacket-style BCs for over 10 years, I found it tricky to adapt to the BP/W. In fact, I wish I had done the OW course in a BP/W, because I wouldn't even have known any other option existed.

Answer is yes.

Or you could do what I did, buy a jacket BCD because that is what I was given as rental gear during OW certification and what all the students were wearing.

Then within 6 months buy a BPW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom