Backplate and wing for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also looking for my first BP/W. Based on budget looking at DGX and Hog. With aluminum plate, single tank adapter, and 30-32 wing looking at about 10lbs. Is that heavy or par for the course? Have the option of a "softplate" with HOG which will shave off about 3 pounds but wandering if that defeats the purpose.
With the HOG 32 pound wing with Aluminum or Steel Plate you won't need a Single tank adapter. The HOG wing like many others but not all has built in stabilization bars to hold the tank in place.

I travel with this wing and the aluminum plate. It is easy to put 5 or 6 pounds in each upper cam band weight pouch or in weight pockets on your harness belt if you need that weight. I take all my own gear on trips and taking a steel plate makes no sense for me as I am given all the lead I need at the destination.

I freely admit that I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer and some of my posts are evidence of that. However, I do feel confident about my experiences. I haven’t run into any problems traveling with a steel plate and I’ve traveled with a mess of dive kit - various wings, can light, twinset regs, two deco reg sets, and multiple wetsuits. I’d think a rec diver could easily “afford” the weight of a steel plate.

I freely admit that I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer and some of my posts are evidence of that. However, I do feel confident about my experiences. I haven’t run into any problems traveling with a steel plate and I’ve traveled with a mess of dive kit - various wings, can light, twinset regs, two deco reg sets, and multiple wetsuits. I’d think a rec diver could easily “afford” the weight of a steel plate.
It's not about affording. Its about traveling with the least amount of weight and luggage as possible as a matter of convenience. But, I do appreciate your response. I'm trying to set up as versatile and travel friendly kit as I can within my budget.

Trying to set up a versatile rig that I can use in cold water in NY and Northern CA (7 mm and 50 degree water), warm water travel, and hopefully liveaboards in deep blue.
It is often repeated that versatility or modularity is an advantage of the BP/W rig. While it is true that you can swap wings, and while it is true that SOME harnesses have an adjustment feature, you may ultimately find it more convenient to have one plate with a harness adjusted to accommodate your bulky drysuit and another plate with a harness adjusted for your thin wetsuit. Face it, if you dive in warm water and cold water you're going to end up acquiring more than one plate/harness and likely more than one wing. From what I have seen, the versatility/modularity aspect is overstated as an advantage. On the bright side, plates and harness are not THAT expensive--at least not when compared with top-of-the-line jacket BCs--so it's totally reasonable to have more than one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom