Backplate and wing for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a BP/W and feel more streamlined in the water. That being said, I have done a lot of pool and OW training in a BCD as well as an occasional vacation rental. Most divers would find either one more than adequate. The best choice is always to rent or borrow one if you can.

I am going to be a recreational diver primarily doing beach diving in Southern California. I already have my soft stuff, I will be buying my computer on 1/4 ( Shearwater Peregrine) and the regulator I will be getting is a mk11/c370 the only thing I don’t have locked down is the BCD. And I see a lot of people using the Dive Rite Transplant XT. But now I am looking at the DGX.

I am going to be a recreational diver primarily doing beach diving in Southern California. I already have my soft stuff, I will be buying my computer on 1/4 ( Shearwater Peregrine) and the regulator I will be getting is a mk11/c370 the only thing I don’t have locked down is the BCD. And I see a lot of people using the Dive Rite Transplant XT. But now I am looking at the DGX.
Do you shop at Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro?

First, to answer your question, yes any BC will work for a beginner. But it may or may not be what you want.

The best advice I can provide you is to rent first and make sure you know what you want. Don't take the recommendation from the internet without testing it in the water first. Renting allows you to try before you buy, so buy once and cry once. ONLY you can determine what is right for you! So, I suggest you find a LDS that rents BP/W and try it first, then decide what you like or dislike about each type you try. Then make a decision. There are some very good opinions here on SB, some feel very strongly about their personal decisions. But only you can determine what you want and like, remember it is not a competition, but rather a hobby to enjoy, so be sure you will enjoy what you buy! If you enjoy it you will dive more, and that is the objective!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom