New Dive Computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you go tooo nuts with masks - check with your local optometrist who has a place that makes glasses.

Most of them can glue in readers into the mask.

The link I posted earlier to the Hydro-Tacs is for reader lenses (in whatever power you want) that you can stick on the inside of your mask yourself. They stick on with water and can be taken off and put back on, essentially, indefinitely. I have them in one of my masks and they have been in there for at least 10 months. I also have them on my daily wear sunglasses (which are a curved lens) and they have been on them for at least 6 months. $15 and a few minutes of DIY time seems a lot better than paying an optometrist.

I have not compared prices recently, so I don't know how poorly the pricing compares to the other color AI computers (Lynx with transmitter, Eon Steel with transmitter, VTX with transmitter, i750T with transmitter, Mares Icon HD, etc).

I meantioned the SeaBear H3 before. The H3 has an OLED screen that I think is roughly around the same size as the VTX screen. Note:I THINK and ROUGHLY. The H3 looks really nice for Rec diving, but is also a fully capable Trimix computer, too. The H3 is rechargeable and claims to get around 15 hours dive time per charge, which is about half what the Shearwater Petrel gets on a AA alkaline (they claim 35 hours). My H3 is "on vehicle for delivery" today. If I only have to charge it 2 (or even 3) times for every 1 time I have to change the battery in my Petrel, that will be pretty sweet! I've had my Petrel since September, done around 30 dives with it, and I just had to change the battery for the first time.

Great idea on the Hydro Stick-On, I'll have to try that. I looked at the SeaVision 2100, I don't need a prescription mask and didn't see anything stating gauge reader, I'm I missing it?

$15 solved the problem for me.

Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses, 2.00 - Walmart.com

I put them in my Atomic mask last March(-ish) and they've stayed on and worked well ever since. Though I have to admit I don't use that mask any more, as it turned out to leak a bit, so I bought a new mask that doesn't leak and has gauge reader lenses built in (SeaVision 2100 - which I REALLY like and is also WAY cheaper than a new computer).

BuildMask - SeaVisionUSA

If you really just want a new computer, based on your requirements, I'd buy the Hydro-Tac lenses for now and wait for the SeaBear H3 AI transmitter to become available, then buy the H3 w/AI (assuming it's in your budget). My LDS owner says the H3 xmitters are done and sitting in a warehouse. They are just waiting to release them until they get them rebranded as ScubaPro, instead of SeaBear, since SP (basically) owns SB now.

That Sea Bear is an awesome looking PDC. I can't wait for them to add integrated/wireless air.

What brand is this? It looks like tank pressure in the lower left...safe to assume that and that it has a transmitter available?
and that is a _ _ _ _ _ _ ??

The answer to both Questions is That's an Eon Steel with the screen set to Classic mode rather than the graphical mode I use mine in. You can have multiple transmitters. I happen to love mine and they're quite popular here along with OTC, Galileo and a few Petrels (in the group I dive with)

I have over 100 dives on mine I like it very much but the price puts lots of people off. On the boat at the weekend (16 divers) there were 6 Eon's

With Default screen brightness it claims 40 hrs battery life (the comp learns over time and usage) After 3 days and 12 (50 - 60min) dives I have 30 hrs remaining even using it in AI. as you can see its used less than predicted. You can easily go away for a week and use it without charge (I have) but given I take charges for my camera and ipad etc charging my PDC isn't a problem

Last edited:
...I happen to love mine and they're quite popular here along with OTC, Galileo and a few Petrels (in the group I dive with)

I have over 100 dives on mine I like it very much but the price puts lots of people off. On the boat at the weekend (16 divers) there were 6 Eon's...

I've never seen an Eon Steel in SE Florida, perhaps it's geographic. What's OTC?

I've never seen an Eon Steel in SE Florida, perhaps it's geographic. What's OTC?
My typo I meant OSTC

I note also that divers from different areas have different computers - Oceanic for instance does't exist here, I guess unless there is a dealer nearby most people won't buy (without having seen first)

My typo I meant OSTC

I note also that divers from different areas have different computers - Oceanic for instance does't exist here, I guess unless there is a dealer nearby most people won't buy (without having seen first)

I've never seen a Henrichs Weikamp dive computer in Florida or the Caribbean, this one really is geographic. On the other hand, Oceanic is probably the most frequently seen brand in SE FL

I've never seen a Henrichs Weikamp dive computer in Florida or the Caribbean, this one really is geographic. On the other hand, Oceanic is probably the most frequently seen brand in SE FL

Does it mean Oceanic is the most popular? Or the best marketed? Or, maybe the best kick-back to the dive shop?

Does it mean Oceanic is the most popular? Or the best marketed? Or, maybe the best kick-back to the dive shop?

Interesting question. Without doubt Suunto is the biggest name in watch style computers. Everywhere I go someone is wearing one and of course they do very nicely out of it.

If I click onto DGX page, currently I see Sherewater, Hollis and Diverite, Obviously the former is very popular with a small number of dedicated divers. The last two.. not so sure?

If I go to one UK site, then I get Suunto, Cressi and Oceanic.

On another UK site, just Cressi and Mares

So depending what dealer arrangements the online stores have depends on what computer you see (same with the LDS)

I guess what Brand of PDC people end up with depends on the following:

What their LDS stocks.
What their Dive buddies wear/Word of mouth
What their instructor /Dive guide wears
Internet research.

My first (Cressi Leonardo) I brought as a basic comp in the shop I got the rest of the gear. All I needed was a simple PDC with Nitrox. Done.

My latest (Suunto Eon Steel) first a recommendation by a reputable source, then research of my own.

I'm sure certain geographical areas like different brands I've never seen some of the brands mentioned on SB for instance as I'm outside the US

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom