New Dive Computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sooo, although I love my Atom 2.0...somehow the display has become blurry lately...as has every other smaller print item I seem to come across lately....

I've been looking at some of the larger display models (Gallileo, Icon, Steel...etc) and of course the choices are many, the prices are high and the commitment is total.

With that said, these are my requirements (no worries, it's a short list)
1) Wireless air integrated
2) As stated above...an extremely easy to read display
3) Preferably a charging system like Sola uses for its lights...or at the very least a reliable uncomplicated battery compartment to avoid flooding
4) A unit known for reliability
5) Not sure if this needs saying, but Nitrox capable

Thanks for your time and any insights you can share based on your experiences.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Jeff

Sooo, although I love my Atom 2.0...somehow the display has become blurry lately...as has every other smaller print item I seem to come across lately....

I need reading glasses for small print, menus in dimly-lit restaurants, etc. So far I've had no problem seeing the puck-sized display.

Keep in mind that light-emitting displays: oled, back-lit lcd, have to out-emit the Sun to be readable in bright sunlight. They also require different kind of battery: the big kind.

$15 solved the problem for me.

Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses, 2.00 - Walmart.com

I put them in my Atomic mask last March(-ish) and they've stayed on and worked well ever since. Though I have to admit I don't use that mask any more, as it turned out to leak a bit, so I bought a new mask that doesn't leak and has gauge reader lenses built in (SeaVision 2100 - which I REALLY like and is also WAY cheaper than a new computer).

BuildMask - SeaVisionUSA

If you really just want a new computer, based on your requirements, I'd buy the Hydro-Tac lenses for now and wait for the SeaBear H3 AI transmitter to become available, then buy the H3 w/AI (assuming it's in your budget). My LDS owner says the H3 xmitters are done and sitting in a warehouse. They are just waiting to release them until they get them rebranded as ScubaPro, instead of SeaBear, since SP (basically) owns SB now.

I've been looking at some of the larger display models (Gallileo, Icon, Steel...etc) and of course the choices are many, the prices are high and the commitment is total.

With that said, these are my requirements (no worries, it's a short list)
1) Wireless air integrated
2) As stated above...an extremely easy to read display
3) Preferably a charging system like Sola uses for its lights...or at the very least a reliable uncomplicated battery compartment to avoid flooding
4) A unit known for reliability
5) Not sure if this needs saying, but Nitrox capable

Thanks for your time and any insights you can share based on your experiences.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Jeff

I've noticed the same problem, font sizes seem to be shrinking all around me. In addition, my Cobra died on my last dive trip so cheater lenses won't solve my problem on their own .... I too am in the market for a new computer and my list of requirements is similar to yours!

I've been looking at some of the units with a larger display, but in the end, I'll still use my cheater lenses because I need to see my camera too!

That aside, does anyone have any feedback on the LiquidVision Lynx ?? DRIS has a sale on them right now, the timing may be good....

That aside, does anyone have any feedback on the LiquidVision Lynx ?? DRIS has a sale on them right now, the timing may be good....

I have experience with the XEO computer which uses the same "tap" interface. Thought it was nice for a while then grew to hate it. I also soon tired of constantly feeding batteries to the thing. Do a search for Lynx and see if the battery life issue has been improved. I gave up, switched to a Shearwater Petrel (no AI) and the XEO sits in a box.

My son uses an Atomic Aquatic Cobalt. Very visible, size makes it easy to read with "experienced" eyes :), buttons and features are nice and I have found support to stellar. It is not a wrist model, but I honestly think it is one of the nicest console computers out there.

Before you go tooo nuts with masks - check with your local optometrist who has a place that makes glasses.

Most of them can glue in readers into the mask.

I have a Galileo Luna. I like the size of it overall but I wish I had gotten an OLED colored display instead. Don't get me wrong, I like my Luna, it works great but the color screen would be even easier to see. I use the readers in my masks as well and have no issues with seeing the display of the Luna at all. I have had my computer for a little over a year and had to replace the battery once but I think the original battery that came with it was probably weak. I went to Batteries Plus and they had the exact battery I needed for $12.50 IIRC. Easy to swap out too.

... My son uses an Atomic Aquatic Cobalt. Very visible, size makes it easy to read with "experienced" eyes :), buttons and features are nice and I have found support to stellar. It is not a wrist model, but I honestly think it is one of the nicest console computers out there.

I like the looks of the Cobalt, but the price-point seems a bit high when compared to the AI unit's out there...

---------- Post added January 10th, 2016 at 09:59 AM ----------

and that is a _ _ _ _ _ _ ??

I like the looks of the Cobalt, but the price-point seems a bit high when compared to the AI unit's out there...

It is air integrated, but it is a direct attachment to the HP port and does not use a transmitter.

I have not compared prices recently, so I don't know how poorly the pricing compares to the other color AI computers (Lynx with transmitter, Eon Steel with transmitter, VTX with transmitter, i750T with transmitter, Mares Icon HD, etc).

Back
Top Bottom