New BC or more dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Second, a backplate will not change your buoyancy control abilities, those are a physiological thing
For many newer divers, the likely improvement in trim from a backplate would make controlling buoyancy a much easier proposition. The OP does say they think they have good trim, so this comment is perhaps more relevant to other readers.

(OP, ask your buddy how your trim is when trying to stay at a constant depth. Self-assessment can sometimes be "optimistic".)

Outside of good trim, I'd say the goal should be to use lungs as the short-term control, and use the BC to offload or shift the average lung volume to a comfortable place (longer-term control).

Outside of good trim, I'd say the goal should be to use lungs as the short-term control, and use the BC to offload or shift the average lung volume to a comfortable place (longer-term control).
I've never heard it described that way. Makes sense. Thanks!

There are several recommendations to get the bp/w and that might be a good idea. However, I would like you to consider diving more first. The new BC will only add task loading to the dive. As already mentioned, the bp/w will not change your bouyancy issues. The only times you should be adding or removing gas from BC is to compensate for wetsuit compression or tank depletion, all other changes should occur in the lungs. Once I learned this idea it has made my bouyancy much easier. Suit compression occurs mostly in the first 30 ft of depth, so I tend to start inflating with very small increments as soon as my descent rate starts to increase and continue to add gas to maintain a steady descent rate. So when I do reach desired depth I am not descending so fast and have to add so much gas to stop my descent. Adding or dumping gas should be done in very small increments and wait for effect, if not then you become the yo yo. I dive cold water with a thick wetsuit, so I am generally overweighted because the safety stop defines my weight requirement to control a safe slow ascent. At depth I am virtually overweighted and must stop the descent with BC gas additions. Doing so as I descend in small increments controls the descent and allows for the adjustments to take effect before next adjustment. When I reach depth the last adjustment keeps me neutral and I don't mess with BC gas again until ascending or descending more than 10+ft or more. Don't get frustrated, it only adds anxiety and make breathing control more difficult. Understand that you won't be great at it at first, it take time to perfect. I have been diving for several years and still working to get it better. At least now I don't need to touch anything. When you get the bouyancy at a managable level, then get the bp/w and perfect it. The bp/w will grow with you better than a jacket, but you don't need the additional task load right now.

Jacket style squeeze your rib cage as they inflate.
Hi @Eric Sedletzky I’m visiting family in San Jose, and recall you had an art studio in Felton? Unless you already moved away due to fires and business regs.

The new BC will only add task loading to the dive.
How so? If anything, a BP/W will make things easier compared to a BC with lots of bells & wistles, pockets, etc. In terms of functionality, you're just switching from one BC to another. What you lose and gain by switching to a BP/W should have nothing to do with the buoyancy issue.

... so I tend to start inflating with very small increments as soon as my descent rate starts to increase and continue to add gas to maintain a steady descent rate. So when I do reach desired depth I am not descending so fast and have to add so much gas to stop my descent. Adding or dumping gas should be done in very small increments and wait for effect, if not then you become the yo yo. I dive cold water with a thick wetsuit, so I am generally overweighted because the safety stop defines my weight requirement to control a safe slow ascent. At depth I am virtually overweighted and must stop the descent with BC gas additions. Doing so as I descend in small increments controls the descent and allows for the adjustments to take effect before next adjustment. When I reach depth the last adjustment keeps me neutral and I don't mess with BC gas again until ascending or descending more than 10+ft or more.
Great detailed description! So it sounds like slow methodical anticipatory actions mixed with a lot of patience. Much easier said than done I'm sure.

How so? If anything, a BP/W will make things easier compared to a BC with lots of bells & wistles, pockets, etc. In terms of functionality, you're just switching from one BC to another. What you lose and gain by switching to a BP/W should have nothing to do with the buoyancy issue.
BP/W does not make things easier if you have a skills issue, it's not a magic dart that fix's everything. He may hate the jacket BC because his skills aren't there yet and adding a new piece of equipment could compound the problem by learning/adjusting new equipment and dealing with buoyancy issues on top of it? One thing at a time, deal with the buoyancy then move on to new equipment if you want. A decent or experienced diver can dive a jacket, back inflate or BP/W it just comes down to preference.

Should I dive more to improve my skills before getting a new BCD? Or should I get a BCD and practice my skills in that?
If the cost of the new BCD adversely affects the amount of diving you can do...go diving. More diving will improve your skills far faster than a new rig. Besides, if you get the new BCD and you still bounce off the bottom, you've got one less rationalization and you're out the cash.:bounce::bounce::bounce: What do others in your club use? Ultimately, do what makes you happy. Diving is supposed to be fun...just try not to tear up the neighborhood. :):clearmask:

BP/W does not make things easier if you have a skills issue, it's not a magic dart that fix's everything.
I never said that it would fix anything. I just don't think it does hurt either.

I have trouble understanding this argumentation which has been launched in this thread a few times now: " Another BC doesn't help you with your buoyancy issues, therefore: don't buy another BC."

If the BC doesn't matter for the buoyancy issue - which it what we're all agreeing on, I think - then why shouldn't OP invest in something that at least might give a psychological advantage?

I never said that it would fix anything. I just don't think it does hurt either.

I have trouble understanding this argumentation which has been launched in this thread a few times now: " Another BC doesn't help you with your buoyancy issues, therefore: don't buy another BC."

If the BC doesn't matter for the buoyancy issue - which it what we're all agreeing on, I think - then why shouldn't OP invest in something that at least might give a psychological advantage?
You said it would make things easier and in fact it may do the opposite and add frustration by learning new gear and dealing with a skills issue. I think what some me included are saying is dial in the buoyancy then get a new BC. Never said don't buy it but it's not the solution to the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom