New BC or more dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgblake

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I am a SSI OW diver, got certified in October of last year and got some dives in with my local college club. During these dives I grew to absolutely hate Jacket style BC's. So it being the new year, I got some extra funds from Christmas and am planning to purchase a BP/W. The DGX EXP. It looks like something I can grow into and move onto cooler dives in the future. Right now I am shooting for wreck diver and maybe rescue diver.
The only reason I have ventured into posting here is my buoyancy is pretty bad. I can keep my hands in front of me, and trim(I think) but have not mastered the art of not hitting the bottom and not Yo-Yoing to the surface while pulling dump valves to stay at depth.
Should I dive more to improve my skills before getting a new BCD? Or should I get a BCD and practice my skills in that?
I have a club trip over spring break and I really don't want to be that guy who cant stay off the bottom.

So I am a SSI OW diver, got certified in October of last year and got some dives in with my local college club. During these dives I grew to absolutely hate Jacket style BC's. So it being the new year, I got some extra funds from Christmas and am planning to purchase a BP/W. The DGX EXP. It looks like something I can grow into and move onto cooler dives in the future. Right now I am shooting for wreck diver and maybe rescue diver.
The only reason I have ventured into posting here is my buoyancy is pretty bad. I can keep my hands in front of me, and trim(I think) but have not mastered the art of not hitting the bottom and not Yo-Yoing to the surface while pulling dump valves to stay at depth.
Should I dive more to improve my skills before getting a new BCD? Or should I get a BCD and practice my skills in that?
I have a club trip over spring break and I really don't want to be that guy who cant stay off the bottom.

Couple things.
First, I would just get the base one, SS plate, no weight pockets, no shoulder pads. Dive Rite wing is not worth the premium IMO

Second, a backplate will not change your buoyancy control abilities, those are a physiological thing, but I do recommend getting into one sooner rather than later, If you were in the better of the two Carolinas you would have learned in a backplate at NC State :p though the head instructor there did learn to dive at USC so there is that. @aue-mike is also from USC, if you look up Mike Barnette on Google, not on here very often but incredible diver.

Third, while I don't necessarily agree with everything UTD teaches, one of their catch phrases that I'll have to paraphrase is that breathing is for buoyancy control, the fact that it keeps you alive is a side effect. This may sound a bit strange, but if you are struggling to not be a yo-yo in the pool it is highly probable that you are taking too large of breaths. If you aren't in a wetsuit then you shouldn't need to use the BCD in a pool once you get neutral at the bottom and need to really focus on your breathing to keep you in control. Using the bcd too much for buoyancy control will just lead to endless frustrations. One thing that may help you during practice sessions is to only orally inflate the BCD and not use the power inflator at all which will help prevent you from overinflating.

Lots of good deals to be found in the classifieds here. Get a nice used BPW and enjoy the best of both worlds!

Hey man I dive like this

381 ZZb440ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.jpg

369 zzzzzz (2).jpg

226 ZZZ.jpg

267 56560624_2371351189760124_2541873714354454528_n (1).jpg

Hands in front is unnatural for Superman

a backplate will not change your buoyancy control abilities, those are a physiological thing

I've been looking for these words. Magnificent!

During these dives I grew to absolutely hate Jacket style BC's. So it being the new year, I got some extra funds from Christmas and am planning to purchase a BP/W.
This is the process. You can't truly love a BP/W until you have had the experience of hating a jacket style BC.
That being said, it is not going to affect how you dive. It might make it more comfortable but it won't improve your buoyancy control.
Get the BP/W. I never recommend new divers buy used equipment but you would be safe buying a used BP/W here if you find a good deal. You don't need anything fancy. If you get something simple you can add to it later. It is going to make you more comfortable so go for it.
For the buoyancy issue the key is to go slow. Make small changes and wait a few seconds for those changes to take effect. There is a time delay to see the effect when adding or dumping air and when someone doesn't wait a few seconds for the change or when the changes are too big, they become a yo-yo.
Try to find someone who can help you set up your BP and get you correctly weighted. Buoyancy control is more challenging if you are over weighted, impossible if you are underweighted.

I would hold off BC purchases until you get a handle on buoyancy. Gear does not make you a better diver; more diving makes you better at diving.

Some tips/hints that helped me get better at buoyancy:
1) All your movements should be slow and deliberate.
2) Stop all unnecessary fin kicks. If I'm stopped and need to kick-up to stay neutral, I'm over weighted.
3) Use my breathing to maneuver up and down instead of 'swimming' up and down.
4) Gross but...use the bathroom and relieve yourself completely before diving (and pee while diving if in a wetsuit). I was surprised how much a full bladder creates anxiety. Anxiety = increased air consumption = larger breaths = yo-yo.
5) Talk a DM or dive guide and mention that you're working on your buoyancy and ask for tips. I learned more post-dive at the back of the shop away from the other customers and guests when the DM got real with me.
6) Take a 1-on-1 buoyancy clinic with a dive shop on your next dive vacation.

Good luck! It's the rare new diver that has their buoyancy control dialed in quickly!

Gear does not make you a better diver; more diving makes you better at diving.
Then why hold off on buying a new BC? If the OP hates the jacket style (and that's all there is for rent), by all means, go ahead and buy that Backplate & Wing. That way, you just want to go diving more instead of having to overcome that 'bleh I have to get myself in that jacket thing again' feeling every time.
Then get in the water and dive. You'll work out your buoyancy with all tips and tricks that can be found out there (and on here).

Comfort and convenience makes a better dive and diver. If the OP hates a specific style then they should budget for a new one before they lose interest. I know if I don't have access to gear I like then I'm less likely to participate in that activity.

The gear will not make you better, but you may like diving more because of it. Having my own equipment has expanded my diving exponentially. No more paying $75-100 for rental gear + tanks AND having a time constraint to use it before having to pay more. Worth every penny if you enjoy it.

A BP/W won’t really change anything with buoyancy until you understand weighting and breathing. It’s possible you are overweighted in your jacket in the pool. Being overweighted means that you always have to have air in your BC even at shallow depths. In the deep end of the pool 10’-12’ is right in the middle of the depth where most pressure changes happen, so the more air you have in your BC the more it will expand and contract. Yeah, this will drive you nuts 🥜!
You should be able to hold a neutral position at the bottom of a pool with no air in your BC, or if it’s a big full tank then at most just a huff or air in the bc to offset the tank weight. The less un-needed air in your BC is less that can baloon.
On normal dives you should be able to come up to your 15’ stop at the end of the dive with an almost empty tank and be able to hold a stop with no air in your BC and control your depth with breathing alone. This is true in both a jacket and a BP/W.

Why do you hate Jacket Style BCDs? Are you sure that a BP/W will solve the things you hate about Jacket Style BCDs?

If its all the pockets and floatation on the front that get in the way you hate the BP/W can be of benefit. BP/W also might be better at keeping you trim, but only when it has air in it - so as you are less overweighted the less this is significant.

If it is because the gear is heavy and uncomfortable, or you have difficulty with buoyancy a BP/W may make no difference.

Back
Top Bottom