Need political uprising updates/Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guys, we have an internet ban, cellular phones were stopped for 2 days and just back yesterday.
No security in the streets except when the army is there and they are not everywhere...
former security are horrifying people especially at night, we are having night shifts and adding road blocks to stop their cars getting near our homes ... protesters are still there and they are trying to put pressure on them to leave by attacking houses and having a status of chaos....
please pray for us, and spread the word that most of the people are frustrated by the regime and the actions done and even those who were not supporting what is going on started to bias towards protesters due to the stupid actions of the former government...
SPREAD and PRAY for us

to those who will ask how I am posting this, I still have connection at work but I can not come except in broad day light and for a couple of hours to get back home and start preparing for the night action....

My thoughts are with you. Keep the faith, stay safe.

J

I'm flying to Cairo on March 5th so sure hope things are all settled down by then!

I'm flying to Cairo on March 5th so sure hope things are all settled down by then!
Will it even be Egypt as we know it in a month?

Food is getting scarce now.

Charter flights to carry thousands of Americans out of Egypt - CNN.com
Washington (CNN) -- Charter flights that begin Monday will ferry the first of thousands of Americans away from the escalating crisis in Egypt, the State Department said.
"We will keep running the charter flights until we get [all] people out," said Assistant Secretary of State Janice L. Jacobs.
Relatives back home in the United States are relaying needed information to those trying to get out of Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and other cities, she said. Internet service is down in most of Egypt and frustrated travelers have had to find other ways to get information.
"Lack of internet access makes our job more difficult," Jacobs said.
The State Department has established telephone numbers and an e-mail address for "understandably worried" Americans in Egypt and loved ones to communicate with the U.S. Embassy, she said.
The State Department is sending additional employees to Egypt and the "safe haven" locations in Europe to assist in the effort, Jacobs said Sunday.
Officials are looking at Istanbul, Turkey; Nicosia, Cyprus; and Athens, Greece, as possible destinations, although the list was not finalized Sunday afternoon, said Jacobs, who oversees consular affairs.

Government dependents and nonessential employees will be among the first to go, although any private U.S. citizen who chooses to leave will get out during the week, she added.
Those private citizens who do fly a charter will have to reimburse the government for the ticket and must make his or her own plans for further travel once they reach a "safe haven," Jacobs said.
Officials don't expect to need assistance from the U.S. military.
Travelers in Cairo and elsewhere have been upset by their lack of access to information and, in some cases, a live person on the phone.
The staff of the Cairo Embassy has been overwhelmed by inquiries and the State Department has a 24-7 task force and call centers, said Jacobs, adding that radio and TV, along with websites and telephones, are being utilized to provide travel updates.
The government is asking family members in the United States to continue assisting in the effort.
"That seems to be working pretty well," she said.
Jacobs advised Americans not to swamp the Cairo airport, which is open but is seeing more flight cancellations.
Travelers, if they have a commercial airline ticket, should continue working with their carrier on getting out, Jacobs said.
The U.S. Embassy has advised Americans in Egypt to limit their movements, avoid protests and use taxis when possible to reach the airport. Travelers should arrive in plenty of time and obey the hours of the curfew, which may be lengthened.
"We have a short window of time to operate these flights," the official said.
When asked about efforts to assist Americans in Alexandria, Luxor and other cities outside Cairo, Jacobs said the government is trying to get information to them and might considering flying charters out of areas with large pockets of citizens who cannot get to Cairo. About 100 Americans are stranded in Luxor.
Laura Murphy, who is on a stranded Nile River tour, told CNN that the ship's captain has anchored the boat in Luxor after being warned against docking at any of the stops along the Nile because those areas may be unsafe for tourists.
Murphy said two men with plane tickets to Cairo were stuck in Luxor because the plane never showed up.
"You cannot get away by water. You cannot take public transportation because it is unsafe and you cannot fly," Murphy said. "I'm safe but trapped."
Other countries, including Turkey, already have begun to fly out their citizens.
The State Department's charter flights will give first priority to Americans, Jacobs said.
"If there are seats available, we can make those available to other citizens," she said.
The State Department advises people interested in taking a charter flight out of Egypt to send an e-mail to EgyptEmergencyUSC@state.gov or call 202-501-4444. Relatives concerned that their loved one in Egypt may require help can use the same e-mail address and the same number if they are outside the United States or Canada. Those in the United States or Canada can call toll-free at 1-888-407-4747.

Well I am sure banking on it still being Egypt! Got a lot of Red Sea diving planned!

Who do the people want as their leader?

So far they have elected a 10 ppl committee lead by Dr. Elbaradei to negotiate their needs...
no one specific as leader, they just want mubarak out

It seems the army is pretty much leaving the protesters alone but trying to curb looting and other crimes. If they have to fire on looters, that delicate balance could topple.

totally true, they leave protesters and in other areas like my neighborhood they cooperate with the local to collect criminals caught and just their presence and random check points make things better

if it is not settled down till then then God be with us...

Now, to yesterday's status, the security status was very calm compared to the day before... and I have to correct something, it was not all the former police force terrifying ppl.. just some of the secret police (usually with no uniform but only ID cards) and some of the officials (mid rank between a private and an officer)... as you have good knowledge of egypt, they are the guys taking money from you as tips everywhere in uniform with just a red mark on their shoulders.. some of them get off their uniform and started doing theft and random shooting... 2 opinions about that:

1- they are just low life trying to gain anything
2- a more conspiracy theory, but it seems to be a plan by the former party ruling egypt to have chaos for 3 reasons, 1- tell ppl that you were happier and safer with the old regime, 2- penalize those who wanted the change, 3- keep ppl busy with their security rather than the protesters and the status and the demands.... I personally believe in the second one... things happened all over egypt in the same time especially prison attacks...

I would also need to give a thanks for some police officers who helped in organizing the locals protecting their houses even that they were not in uniforms (they were afraid fo the general rage) but they were doing their role.. I hope after this ends, the good can be rewarded and the bad are executed in public...

As for the protesters, they are still there and more organized with the 10 committee to talk to the regime...

Now guys what I need from you is that the internet ban is too bad, we can not get our voice out and there are still no news about when it iwll be back.. please focus on this if you sign a petition or send an email to your government....

Hope to see you tomorrow !!

Quite interesting to see String's arrogant remarks disproved in real time. Mubarak may still remain in power after the smoke clears, but the upheaval of the past 5 days shows that we are dealing with something unprecedented in modern times.

It's ironic to me that String seems to condemn much of the support the West, particularly the US, has given Mubarak, and yet the spirit behind his comments is almost a carbon copy of the paternalistic attitude one encounters when speaking to US embassy personnel in North Africa. Specifically, in presuming to know more about Egypt and its people than Egyptians themselves know, and ascribing laziness and disorganization to them, he's clearly misinterpreted the situation on the ground.

Thanks for the updates, Solly.

Well, guess I read that one wrong.

Hands up , I was wrong - didnt think it would go this long - very strange situation.

Still looks ok in Hurghada etc so still planning on holiday next week :eek:)

Decent of you to admit your error.

Don't think String (who I ordinarily have a lot of respect for) called this one well nor called it with the appropriate respect the situation deserved. Guess it's rarely clever to denigrate or generalise about any entire population.

Have fun on your holiday and stay safe. And no looting this time, ok? :D

J

Edit: Is the internet still down mostly in sharm, dahab, etc.? Am surprised not to have heard from Crowley, Asser, etc. but guessing they've not got connectivity...

I believe Asser is in Caïro.

The BBC reports that Egyptians are now resorting to fax machines and dialup modems, but our Red Sea Shadow is with Noor, the only internet access provider that was allowed to continue operations because it carries data for vital institutions such as the stock exchange. As a matter of fact Asser has been pretty active on Facebook :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom