8 days in Egypt, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reign180

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife, her best friend, and I are doing a little dive trip to Egypt on our way to South Africa for work. My wife and I are rescue certified and both have a few hundred dives, and her best friend is AOW but only has 20 or so.

We're going to be flying in to Cairo at the start of December and exploring for a few days before starting our 8 day dive trip. Not looking for a LOB (most require over 50 dives anyway), or looking for big luxurious resorts, happy to spend less on fluffy pillows and more on the diving.

Any suggestions on must see sites within the red sea? Favourite operators? Places to stay? Etc. Would love to see the big stuff (sharks, dolphins, manatees, unicorns, fairies 🤪), and hit Thistlegorm, but also appreciate a great reef or wall.

Would you rate Sharm over Marsa Alam?
How about Marsa Shagra?
Is Dahab worth a cheeky taxi ride?

We're all very chill and not really into partying. Just keen on good food and spending as much time under water as possible.

Thanks in advance 👊

Would you rate Sharm over Marsa Alam?

First, December is not great time to dive in Egypt due to weather and sea conditions.

I'd go to Marsa Alam before I'd go to sharm if I am only going there to dive.

Marsa Shagra
This is the place I'd go to for land based diving. It as close as you can get to LOB but still on land.

Disclaimer: I am not Egypt expert but I have been diving there several times in the past (Sharm area).

The water is not going to be particularly warm that time of year either, maximum might be around 23C if you're lucky.

I've only dived Sharm and Dahab. Shore diving can be more laid back and no time constraints if suing a boat.

However you'll need a boat for the Thistlegorm and any other wreck dives.

I second Boltsnap's comments. If you HAVE to dive the Thistlegorm, then Marsa Alam/Shagra is out. I believe you'll need to leave from Hurghada for that.

If you decide on Marsa Shagra, Elphinstone is a short boat ride, but may be too advanced for your wife's friend.

Thanks for the replies.

Would it be manageable to do a few days in Marsa Alam or Marsa Shagra and then head to Sharm El Sheikh to dive Thistlegorm?

I believe you'll need to leave from Hurghada for that.
There are boats from Sharm, but my last experience was less than fantastic, 30 divers on the boat.

Fortunately we were a group of four but I felt it was all a bit rushed.

Would be better to head to Hurghada and do the Thistlegorm from there. You will lose to much time transferring to Sharm esp. by plane (see no flight time). And you can use HRG as a base for other wreck dives.

Side Note: While Marsa Shagra is a location / hotel, "Marsa Alam" is rather a region ranging +/- 50 km north and south of Marsa Alam town. Adding to the confusion Marsa Alam Airport is nearer to Port Ghalib than to Marsa Alam town. Have a look at Google Maps to get a feeling of the geography and the distances.

Thanks for the replies.

Would it be manageable to do a few days in Marsa Alam or Marsa Shagra and then head to Sharm El Sheikh to dive Thistlegorm?

Not really. You can combine Hurghada and Marsa Alam, they are roughly 3 hours apart by car. Going to Sharm El Sheikh involves a flight, not sure about going from local Marsa Alam airport direct to Sharm, might involve going via Cairo. There used to be a ferry connecting Hurghada with Sharm, but afaik it hasn't been operating in many, many years. So by car you'll need to drive via Suez which is 10+ hours.
There are day trips from Hurghada to the Thistlegorm wreck, have never tried it. It is a long trip (3.5ish hours each way) involving a crossing to Sinai which can be rough. As a day trip destination, Thistlegorm is a little closer to Sharm El Sheikh and the boat ride is calmer, protected by the Sinai Peninsula. But prepare for a very early start.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the info.

So I'm guessing the two options really are:
A few nights each in Sharm El Sheikh and Dahab with a full day for Thistlegorm.
Or
The whole time around Marsa Alam, Elphinstone.

For those that have dived in the red sea, what would you suggest and why?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom