Need political uprising updates/Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Solly, for your insight. I'm sorry to have to share your depression.

I too felt the emotion from his speech, especially about dying in Egypt. But it was a selfish act. It was designed to divide and manipulate. A political player of his stance and of his experience is not a fool and knows the consequences of such words.

I knew as soon as the words fell out of his mouth that things were going to destabilise. They were the words of a coward in my opinion. He knew it would inflame.

It seems he went further than that and organised militias. For surely these ppl were no true pro-mubaraks. Unless all Mubarak has as supporters is vandals and thugs.

I pray some presence can't be brought to bear upon the current situation so that Egypt is not thrown into some dark night. For these are dark days indeed. But I truly fear that Mubarak now has the upper hand. In that I hope I am wrong.

Stay safe Solly,

J

Mubarack is organizing the destruction, violence, and chaos, hoping that the Egyptian people will want the "strong ruler" and keep him in power so he can leave rich and happy. I think it is too late.

The people know the truth.

If Mubarack really loved his country he would leave now.

Thanks my friends, I just want to say that mubarak is just the image of a whole system. True he is the strong man because the army is supporting him (so far) but there are others behind the scene that use money as means to manipulate the mob ... I believe these are the ones controlling things in the street right now.. they are afraid to lose their power and influence, they are afraid their corruption to be prosecuted (it is known anyway) ... I do not think mubarak as a person is the problem if he stays for few more months, the problem is in the underlying regime that does not seem to change at all... what can guarantee now that the promises in his speech will come true?
let me quote from something I wrote on FB yesterday evening after the horror in tahrir square:

he can stay IF he clearly lists what will be changed and how it will look like... IF he appoints or calls for electing an committee of reasonable unbiased public figures to monitor.... IF he starts with freeing the media from the b******t that is being said.... I have no problem with an honorable outing for him after the period is over but we need a guarantee... unfortunately right now his word is not enough especially after today's events.

Few minutes ago there was a speech by the vice president, it addressed a lot of items that was personally confusing me, he talked about corruption and some ppl were under investigation including former minister. He talked about different agendas behind the actions we have seen recently and one point was very good IMO that each time someone talks says the hidden agenda of the opposition or external forces... he added businessmen to the list and this relieved me somehow ...
just sharing what I think of for the moment.

Fingers crossed the tide has turned. An interim national unity government with the vice president part of it until full elections can be held?

If Mubarak goes tomorrow this could all be a bright new reality. I suspect the pro-Mubaraks would disappear back into the shadows and the army take immediate charge. And of course rejoicing on the streets.

Let's hope this is what tomorrow brings...

Take care,
J

I am watching the events with much interest for a number of reasons, not the least of which is because we have plans to come to Egypt / Sudan in April. I am also worried about the culture and treasures of Egypt being lost forever in this political upheaval.

I can't personally say what side I support because I feel I don't know enough about what is really going on to make any sort of informed conclusion. Not sure which outcome would in the long term best enable world peace, economic stability and would, most importantly, best ensure basic human rights for all.

One thing that I can't get my head around (and would love others thoughts on, particularly any Egyptians in this thread) is why the "pro-Mubarak" contingency would be conducting themselves so barbarically. To attack media and foreigners and peaceful protesters while the world is watching seems like political suicide and, given the clear organisation of the protests on the "pro-Mubarak" side, someone must be considering these things.

Makes me wonder if there are other elements at work who are planting people in the crowds to ensure the "pro-Mubarak" movement is completely discredited and to ensure the world sees no other choice but to remove the existing government and allow a new, yet-unidentified, replacement to form (which, I can imagine, has its own risks). Perhaps there are people who will benefit from the chaos and are wily enough to come up with strategies such as this?

Or have I watched too many conspiracy movies and it is just simple ignorance, self interest and emotions driving their actions?

well, what happened in the pro-mubarak protest is the same method used by the ruling party in elections... thugs and thieves to intimidate people .. this works in the countryside especially when covered and protected by the police....
They forgot that they are now dealing with a different level of thinking and different people. It also shows a conflict in power or at least broken communication channels, one says something and the other does a stupid act opposing what was said...
A change is needed ASAP to shed the blood and start building what was destroyed in the past few days by some stupid actions and bad reactions to what was going on....

If so many people hadn't died, what I am hearing from the government would be almost comical.

I have just listened to a live broadcast from a member of the ruling party - Dr. Ibrahim Khamal - and some brief highlights:

- There were no secret police in the pro-government demonstrations. The police ID cards confiscated by the military after they arrested these "demonstrators" are part of a Western conspiracy to overthrown the government

- The Western media has betrayed the whole of Egypt by false reporting of the protests - which have hardly been reported at all by state television - remember that Al Jazeera was banned and foreign journalists are having their equipment smashed and are being temporarily incarcerated.

- The protesters in Tahrier square are not representative of the population of Egypt. There is a silent majority who will make their voices heard soon.

It's amazing how little you see when your head is stuck so far up your own backside.

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom